Chapter 16

Colin felt a desperation that could not express in words, a heat that felt similar to fever, he asked one of the servants for a bag of ice.

Kate signaled to him that she had not seen them in the gardens, they must be in the rooms, terror grew in him. In the distance he heard a scream.

-what does this mean!

He went there, her Pen was pale, with the duke very close to her. Cressida rambled about compromising the duke, his head began to spin.

-...Then this is how you want to secure a husband, there was no other way for the ugly girl at the ball, other than to let herself be compromised - said Cressida arrogantly.

-It is not like this! -she said- a voice, Miss Smith came out from the side of the chair- Miss Penelope was only accompanying the duke because she had stepped on him.

Several curious people were already gathered next to Colin, who was still frozen.

-Look- pointing at Colin, Miss Smith said, -Mr. Bridgerton was bringing a bag of ice to the duke.

-And what were you doing behind that chair?- Cressida asked

-I was reading, when the three of them entered and the third Bridgerton left to look for the ice.

-And why the closed door? -Cressida insisted.

Colin saw the duke open his mouth to intervene. The third Bridgerton didn't know what he would say, but it didn't have to be good.

-Here's the ice bag -he said-I apologize again for Miss Featherington's clumsiness your Excellency

Colin took Pen by the hand and said "excuse me" to those present, he grabbed her almost running towards Lady Featherington.

-We must hurry up the wedding- Colin whispered to his future mother-in-law.

-What happened? -Portia asked.

-Something involving Cressida Cowper- Colin replied.

The music turned off at that moment, everyone looked towards the dance floor, where the queen was.

-Good evening- said Charlotte -I have been given the wonderful news that my diamond, Miss Bridgerton, has been promised to Mr. Stirling tonight. I must add my congratulations to the couple- people 👏 -Since we are still at the beginning of the season, it is my duty as her queen to leave her people with a gem to worship, so I have decided that Miss Penelope Featherington will be your Sapphire.Tonight she shined almost as brightly as the 💎 if not more, so she deserves to be observed.

The queen's announcement was over, Colin looked at Lady Featherington, they knew they had to wait.

The last dance of the night arrived, Duke Williams came for Penelope, Colin looked for Miss Cowper, he wanted to know how much she saw. Pen, meanwhile, felt burning with jealousy.

-Mr. Bridgerton, I am surprised you are dancing with me and not with the ugly girl.

Colin felt anger growing from the pit of his stomach, that lady should be grateful for the fact she was a woman, otherwise he would have already put a bruise on such a pretty face.

-The duke asked for the dance first, plus I can dance with other ladies.

Cressida looked at him strangely.

-Could you have stayed in the corner, waiting for Penelope, or does you prefer to be seen with me, are you ashamed of courting Featherington? -she mocked- I don't blame you, a lady shouldn't weigh so much.

Colin needed to find out where he got so much self-control from.

-On the contrary, I am excited because there is very little left to ask for her hand in marriage, and she also earned the queen's favor by being chosen as the sapphire, and you, Miss Cowper, remind me in what year you were chosen as the 💎, because I think that the title has always been for one of my sisters