Chapter 29

Colin hated himself for the last two months, since the night Pen had bled more than ever, the doctor not only scolded him, but ordered him to stay away from Pen until the baby was born.

-Mr. Bridgerton, if you can't control yourself, go to one of the brothels and pay for a young woman, or take anyone from the service. But let your wife rest! If she continues as she goes, your firstborn will detach from the womb, does you not understand?

The third Bridgerton remembered the scolding again and again. He had asked his mother to give Pen massages every day, so as not to be tempted. He had also moved rooms, because he did not have the heart or strength to leave the house, no matter how many orders the old doctor gave him.
Soon so much sacrifice would bear fruit, their son or daughter would be in their arms. But seeing so little Pen's face was eating away at his soul.
It's funny how years ago he could go a few months or even a year without knowing much about her, just a couple of letters here and there were more than enough.
If he didn't stop by to see her every hour, worry would eat away at him, he didn't even sleep well, Someone always took her away, the duke, the duchess or in the worst nightmares death.
Every time he had a bad dream, which was almost every night now. He would wake up and look for Pen in bed, to remember that she was in another room, then he would try to go back to sleep, but in vain he would always have to get up to check that his wife was sleeping in the next room.

For her part, Penelope was not having a good time either, because she saw Colin less and less, only at breakfast, lately he had been in a horrible mood, so they hardly spoke, when any visitor arrived her husband would disappear and would not see him again, until the following day.
She tried to smile and pretend that she was happy, enjoying her pregnancy, but nothing could be further from the truth, she was so bad that she believed Colin was capable of going at night to look for women or even during the day, being Lady Whistledown she heard many times from the kind of places where the gentlemen of the ton could find those services.
That Wednesday was the first day starting the ninth month, Pen was determined to do something so her husband would remember his love for her. So she had woken up early, called her maid to clean her, comb her hair and take out her best maternity dress, and asked Genevieve that the neckline be lower than society's norms dictate. She was having breakfast on the bed and Colin was sitting in the chair on the terrace looking towards the house's backyard.

-Colin?

He almost choked on his hot chocolate, he looked at his dear wife, who that morning was more adorable than ever, her light blue dress, highlighting her wavy reddish hair, her red lips, inviting him to kiss her, not to mention the blue eyes that They looked like glass, the delicious breasts were swollen and the skin was somewhat pale, according to the doctor because her anemia had worsened. Which brought back bad memories for Colin, making him frown.

-tell me.

Penelope pursed her lips when she saw Colin's grimace, thinking better about what she would say.

-I want to go down to the living room today? I can't stand these four walls anymore.

-Pen no, the doctor said that you should stay as still as possible and only last a couple of weeks.

He had tried to sound soft and calm, but because Colin had hardly slept in two long months, his tone of voice sounded reproachful.

-And if I move to your room -Pen try again.

Colin briefly imagined having his wife back in bed, so his frown deepened.

-no way.

Penelope was surprised by the answer and without wanting to, a couple of tears ran down her cheeks, she wiped them away on the spot.