Chapter 7

Colin felt that the world was in his hands, it had taken him five days to return to the port, but he had found her, a ship's assistant told him that a little less than two months ago a girl was so sick from the trip that they took her off the boat asleep, while they changed her to a smaller one to take her to the island

Colin felt terrible that his Pen hadn't enjoyed the boat trip, but he was happy that he had found her.

The two friends were on the boat that would take them to the island, it would only take about forty minutes. He knew that island like the back of his hand, he was happy, his friend Mr. Brown looked at him with a particular mischief.

-Dear friend, I don't want to interrupt your triumph,-Brown began carefully- but I can ask you a question.

-You ask a question to ask- Colin laughed softly- go ahead my dear Mr. Brown.

-Miss Penelope, and I apologize for the question, is she beautiful?

Colin looked at his traveling companion strangely. He handed her the drawing that Benedict had made him

-now its a little wrinkled, but you could see Pen's face well. It's like that, but better- Colin answered, smiling- my brother is a good artist, but didnt capture her beauty entirety- he pointed out- if you tell him I said that, I'll deny it.

Mr. Brown laughs out loud.

-I wouldn't dare- he paused and continued-I understand Colin, I would also look to hell for such a special woman.

-Yes, she is my dearest friend.

-Who are you trying to fool?-Mr. Brown looked at him very seriously- no sane man would do such a long and exhausting search for a friend -Colin was going to interrupt him - I've heard it many times Colin, I know you said something horrible words in public, and that you should apologize, but a friend would have waited for her to return, although she will arrive married and with children. But what you are doing, only a man madly in love does.

-I'm not mad...Colin was silent, he looked at his friend for a second and looked back at the sea, thinking about what Mr. Brown had just told him, it was the only thing that made sense, his fear is not that Penelope is hating him for what he said that night, his terror is that his Pen will marry another man other than him.

He had always liked her company, her insight, she was one of the few debutante women other than his sisters who did not talk about trivial things, his Pen was brilliant, she had always been kind to him. And now he was hours away from seeing her again. His stomach felt butterflies, he remembered that this is not the first time he has had that feeling, because she was always there, every time he saw her, she would approach him with that beautiful smile, and he felt like his body was filled with happiness.

Colin had just understood that he was in love with Penelope because she was always there, so his feelings were constant and he never stopped to think about them.

-What am I gonna say? -Colin thought out loud.

-You hadn't thought about it- his friend mocked.

-I was thinking of apologizing, but now how am I going to make her forgive me and want to marry me.

-I wouldn't ask for her hand yet

- What would you do then? -Colin asked.

-Why are you going to apologize?

-I already told you, at the dance held at her house, I said very firmly that I would never court her.

His friend looked at him trying to make him understand.

-what?

-Love has made you slow, dear friend- Mr. Brown mocked- You said you would never court her- Colin nodded- Don't you see what I'm getting at?

Colin felt the click in his head.

-Of course, I'm going to court her

(...)

The friends Lord Williams and Mr. Jones were delighted with the Misses Featherington, so much so that they invited them to the next Duke's mansion in Edinburgh, since they had to go get some earrings and did not want to be separated from the ladies.

For her part, Penelope was delighted with the capital, it was not so different from London except for the etiquette that was not so rigid in the place, she could go out without a maid if she went to a nearby park, that type of freedom was refreshing. What she liked most was that she had not cried a single night since they arrived.

Everyone was amiable, her aunt and Felicity were fascinated by the attention of their hosts, even though they didn't see them that often. Especially Lord Williams.

When the week was over and they returned to the island, Penelope was exhausted, she just wanted to get to her room and take a long nap.

Lord Williams insisted on walking the ladies through the park before taking them home, causing Pen to sigh heavily.

-Now we are at a good point. -said Charles - Everyone looked at each other confused.

The next moment he took off his boots and socks, hugged a tree and invited them to do the same. Penelope's aunt did not want to be rude to a soon-to-be duke, so she followed her example and indicated to her niece and daughter to do the same with her eyes.

Penelope obeyed, everything seemed ridiculous to her, but when she hugged the tree, all the tiredness and stress she had was forgotten, she didn't even think about Colin, just let herself go.

After minutes everyone returned to their shoes, the gentlemen accompanied the ladies home, but only after Mrs. Featherington invited them to dinner.

Dinner was laughter among the diners, Mr. Jones had left after eating quickly, after a couple of minutes Felicity followed him, because she wanted to "freshen up."

Colin had been told by Mr. Brown that the Featheringtons had returned from their trip; It took longer for his friend to break the news than for him to rush out the door.

-Good luck! -His faithful friend shouted at him.

It had been two months since he had last seen Penelope, his nerves were taking their toll on him, even more so now that he knew he was in love with her.

He was staying at a hostel that was a thirty-minute walk from Featherington House, so he decided to walk, to relax. He was still several meters from the house but could glimpse a man walking a meter outside the home. When he saw Penelope come out, his heart warmed, he began to smile, he saw that Pen launched herself at the arms of that man and they began to kiss.

Colin felt a rage growing inside him and made him run towards the house, when he saw another Penelope leaving arm in arm with another man, he stopped, looking for a bush to hide.

As he was closer he could see that the first woman was not his Pen, although she was very similar, she was taller and not as beautiful as her beautiful friend. On the contrary, Penelope looked like a mermaid, she had a light blue dress, hair semi collected, a vision in the eyes of the third Bridgerton.

He saw how the two men said goodbye to the ladies and walked towards where he was, so he went as far into the bush as possible.

-Then what did she answer?- said the blonde.

-She say yes, she will marry me. Tomorrow I will ask my future mother-in-law for her hand.

-I am happy for you, my dear friend, you will be thrilled.

The men walked away, nudging each other and laughing among themselves.

Colin shook off the branches that had fallen on his clothes, Penelope's relative had already entered the house, but his Pen had moved away a little, it seemed like she was captivated by the sunset.