Chapter 23

Penelope had been on the new diet for two weeks and hated it, God knows she hated it, had started trying to put her legs up. also cursed herself for not asking Kate how long she should remain in that position, but she was embarrassed to bring up the subject again.

The day of the Bridgerton dance at Audrey Hall had finally arrived, celebrating Violet's birthday, plus this would be her first dance as Mrs Bridgerton, the entire Ton would be there.

Luckily for Pen, had a tiny role in helping with the ball, everything was handled by Daphne and the Viscountess. Who were already eating breakfast when Pen arrived at the table.

"Good morning," Pen greeted.

They both responded to her greeting. Pen had liver with boiled potatoes on her plate, she barely saw it, disliked it, really didn't want to continue with the special diet.

-If you ordered a particular dish, why do you look at it displeasedly? -Daphne asked.

-Pen wants to improve her chances -Kate felt Pen's gaze.

-chances? -Daphne insisted.

Kate looked at Pen as if indicating that she could help, since she already had two successful pregnancies. Penelope had to agree with him, it was still better than ask Violet. So she nodded at Kate in approval. The viscountess lowered her voice.

"Pen is having trouble getting pregnant," Kate said.

Daphne opened her eyes, filled with rage at her brother.

-How is it possible that Colin could do that to you, put the responsibility on you, when I see him, He would 👂- said Daphne, entirely dazed - darling, it's not your fault, there are times that gentlemen do things to avoid getting you pregnant - she said it so quietly that  barely Penelope listened to her.

Just at that moment Colin was entering, quite cheerful because that morning Penelope had said good morning to him, the way he liked, she riding him with the dawn in tow.

-Colin Bridgerton sit down! -Daphne scolded him.

The third Bridgerton didn't understand what was happening, he saw his wife who was as red as a tomato, so he obeyed.

-How can you take advantage of Penelope's innocence, instead of telling her that you don't want to have children yet! -She reprimanded him, but this time in a low voice just so only those present could hear her.

Colin matched the carmine color that his wife had on her face to his.

"But I do want to," Colin said softly.

Daphne felt confused, could it be that her brother was innocent too. So she leaned close to her ear and whispered.

-Do you know that you should spill inside her?

Colin nodded.

"Colin, could you please go have breakfast somewhere else," Daphne added.

Usually the third Bridgerton did not obey his sister's orders since he was older, but he felt so exposed that he just listened  the order and followed as quickly as his legs responded.

-Well, I misunderstood the whole thing.
Penelope? She jumped- does my brother complete everything inside?

"Yes," she answered timidly.

Daphne sat up, leaning back with her hands covering her face, and straightened up again.

-Have you already asked her that? -this time asking Kate.

The viscountess nodded.The Duchess felt more embarrassed for having jumped to conclusions.

"Well, I'm going to pretend that none of that happened, Colin will probably agree," Daphne added.