Chapter 8

Penelope was delighted because her dear cousin had become engaged to Mr. Jones, they made a beautiful couple. But she couldn't help but wonder when it would be her turn, or as Lady Whistledown said, she would get tired waiting.She was delighting in the beautiful sunset, thinking that out there, somewhere far away, would be the one who was going to be her husband.

-I'll give you a penny for your thoughts.

Penelope froze when she heard Colin's voice. She first thought that she had fallen asleep, so she pinched herself, but the pain was not enough proof, simply because she couldn't believe it.The next thing she thought was that Colin was some kind of mirage, which didn't make sense because in fact that week had slept very well, so to rule it out he approached him and took his hand.

-Are you verifying that I'm real?- Colin continued.

Penelope let go of him in surprise because a vision would not respond to him.

-What are you doing here, Mr. Bridgerton? -said Penelope trying to compose herself from her astonishment.

Colin tried to ignore that his Pen was not addressing him because she was still angry, so he took a deep breath. Besides, he had hope because Penelope had turned completely red.

-I was looking for you of course, I've been at it for months- He tried to smile to make her relax, but Pen was wrinkling her forehead more.

-My mother told you where I was?

-Lady Featherington didn't tell me anything -Colin snorted- I tell you that I have been looking for you since the morning after the dance at your house.

-How did you know I was here and tell me the truth -Pen was furious.

-I swear my brother Benedict didn't want to tell me who it was. He just told me you were in Scotland, that's why it took so long. The truth is I thought it would make you happy to see me, you don't know what I went through to find you.

Colin took her hands, lowered his head to look into her eyes, and also a little at her breasts because he had the best view from where he was.

-I want you to know that what you read in that pamphlet was taken out of context- Colin continued.

-You don't have to give me any explanation, Mr. Bridgerton, besides, I know exactly what you said because I was also there, it wasn't difficult to hear since you almost screamed it- Pen replied.

-Listen to me, he came closer, now they were a head away. I've seen that Fife and other men have been making eyes at you lately, and when they asked me that, the bottom line was because some of them were interested.

-Who are you to decide who can court me?- Penelope said, walking away and trying to get out of his grasp.

Colin felt a blow to his chest.

-none of them are worthy of you Pen, none, I refused to let any of them even turn to look at you.

-Colin! You're not even my brother, you have no rights and let me go!

-No, and I thank the heavens that Im not your brother."

Colin let go of her hands, instead he grabbed her waist and leaned in so close that they were a finger's length away. Penelope looked at his lips and then at his eyes. Colin smiled, he knew what that meant, he got a little closer, he saw Penelope closing her eyes and he knew he could kiss her.

An enjoyable sensation ran through his body when he kissed her lips, but Penelope was not dancing with him due to her inexperience, so he used his right hand, delicately placed it on her face, with mostly his thumb. It helped her understand that she should move her lips, his Pen was a good student because she had understood the lesson very quickly.