Chapter 40

It was the last night at Audrey Hall for the couple, they had already put their house up for sale, so they had to walk all over London to find their new home. But that night they didn't have to think about anything else.

They had dined with Benedict, who went to his friend Lord Phillip's party as soon as he finished eating.

-Didn't you see Benedict differently?

-He is a little sick, maybe after so much dust from the remodeling.

-Colin, why did you let him go to that party if he was sick?

-He wanted to clear my head.

-for the silver woman?

Colin pursed his lips, and shook his head.

-why?

-It's better that you don't know.

-You should have accompanied him.

The third Bridgerton looked at his wife as if she had gone crazy.

-If I went to one of those parties I'm sure you'd divorce me. It's a bazaar for singles, alcohol is the least of the problems.

Penelope was clearly interested. Colin frowned.

-I have never been but heard the stories in the bars.

-Then why does someone like Benedict want to go?

Lord Featherington pursed his lips.

-It could be the silver woman, it's been a year since he met her, and I think he feels disappointed. What he told me was just an excuse.

-but it's not that big of a deal, he can meet someone else.

-Do you remember that it took me years to realize my feelings? -she nodded-well, Benedict is so in touch with his emotions that he knew it as soon as he saw her. It must be horrible what's happening. That helplessness, nothing guarantees that he will see her again.

-You speak as if you had lost a great love.

He took her hands.

-Penelope, the doctors told me that the transfusion was a complicated, still very experimental, and science does not know much about the subject.

She looked at him very attentively.

-Why did you decide to do it if it was so complicated?

-The other option was to let you die. Do you know you were the first patient in England to have a successful transfusion? -She denied it- Simón told me that the doctors had learned a lot from your case, and it was challenging for the Duke, his mother Pen died. Do you understand? If those doctors had not wanted to innovate you would not be here today. I would probably be with Benedict getting drunk until I forgot the pain. I don't even know how to describe the helplessness, my body couldn't handle it Pen - Colin's eyes were glassy - I love you so much. If the doctors had asked me for a healthy heart so you could live, I would have given them mine no matter what. And this is not a statement like I will lower the moon for you. This is a fact, you are part of me, if you are not there everything goes away and it has been like this since long before the Featherington Ball.

-Colin, what do you think it would be like, if I had woken up and not seen you by my side, with Thomas, I would have gone crazy. If something happens to me, Colin, you must move on and care for our children, but wherever you remarry, I will pull your legs at night.

-Why are we so dramatic? -Colin scoffed.

-We were talking about Benedict.

-That made me faint when I saw your blood. That's what my brother feels. Helpless 😣