Chapter 13

Penelope woke up, feeling refreshed. She had to dress according to a courtship request. So she called her maid and asked for a loose hairstyle.

-Miss Penelope, they are coming to visit you.

Penelope was surprised because Colin told her she would meet him in the park.

-who is it?

-Miss Bridgerton, you gave us orders to let her in.

-Oh, yes, of course, I'm coming down.

The servant opened the door a little more, there was her former best friend.

-Catalina, please leave- Pen said kindly.

-Yes, miss- she bowed slightly and left the two women alone.

Eloise came in, closed the door behind her, didn't speak, just sat on the bed. Penelope got up and started putting on her dress.

-It's a gorgeous dress, did you buy it in Scotland? -Eloise finally said.

-Colin bought it on the island where we lived, when he accompanied me to the port before sailing he gave it to me. He told me to wear it to our engagement party, but after what I put him through, I want to surprise him.

Eloise got up, started to help her get dressed.

-You hid your feelings towards my brother very well.

-The only ones who didn't know them were you two, for the others it was pretty obvious.

-Pen, why didn't you tell me anything, about the pamphlets or Colin.

-He is your brother and I am -cough- I was your best friend, with the way you are, you would indeed exaggerate and leave us alone at every opportunity with an implicit comment. That could make him uncomfortable and I could lose his friendship- Pen shed a tear - it was the only thing I had with him.

-What are you talking about, my brother adores you, as soon as he arrived from his trip, the first thing he did was scold me. -Eloise mentioned.

Penelope smiled.

-About the other thing, I don't know well, at first I didn't know it was going to be so big and when it was, I didn't know how to tell you, because you know I pretended it wasn't me. You have more opportunities, even if you don't believe it, if you decide to be a spinster, your family and your position would allow it. But not me, if your brother had not reciprocated me I would have had to marry for convenience, my mother will not be able to support me for long. Oh my God! Not even when my father was alive we could support ourselves. It was a bit of envy, when I felt I could have something just mine.

-Colin told me I burned some special letters.

-Yeah.

-I'm sorry about that, I don't know how I can repay you, for now I welcome you to my family.

-Eloise.

-I'm sorry Pen, I understand your reasons, but they are not enough for me. You publicly humiliated me and made end my friendship with Theo.

-What would have happened if you continued your "friendship" with him. El, I know the eyes of a woman in love, you were very close to being one. And not only would it have been a scandal, it would have been ruin for your family. You didn't see what happened to the Sharmas' mother's parents, 20 years have passed and they are still banished from society. If it's true, your family and I wouldn't turn their back on you. But the others will just do it. Just because you are a woman. I also didn't do it for pleasure, the queen herself threatened you, as well as your family. You know that titles are given by kings and they can also take them away. She wouldn't have believed me, she would think that I was just covering you up.