Chapter 35

Five months had passed since Eloise Bridgerton escaped from London after publishing the scandalous pamphlet where she spoke horrible things about her beloved brother Colin Bridgerton, now Lord Featherington.
Eloise could not put into words the peace of mind she felt when a month after arriving at the Crane mansion, she began to receive Lady Whistledown's pamphlet, which meant that her best friend was safe and sound, she knew very well the Penelope's way of writing, since the viscountess was not as good with words.

But she didn't dare to come home, when walked away from the disaster she did; really understood what had done, felt so bad about herself that she didn't want to show her face at the Bridgerton house.

She knew her family would look for her but didn't want to be found. Lady Whistledown had lied in her pages for the second time because the pamphlet said she was ill at Audrey Hall.

The curious thing was, the short distance from the country house, only two hours by carriage.

When Eloise ran out of London because she didn't want to hear that Penelope, her soul sister, had died, she ran away in a rush. But what she found at the Crane mansion was no festive atmosphere, it took her four days to arrive, when she finally did.

Lady Crane had died three days ago, she thought the widower would be devastated but she saw him very calm. Even the twins who were three years old were oblivious to what had happened to her mother.
She hadn't arrived in time for the funeral, but it was as if nothing had happened in the mansion. She hardly saw her host, but since she had not been invited, she decided that it was best to take care of the children, or that was what thought she did, because it is no secret to anyone that Eloise Bridgerton's maternal instinct was non-existent. But Eloise couldn't deny that she loved reading to the twins before going to sleep, it felt wrong that their father, or uncle in this case, didn't even turn to look at them.
After reading that night, while Eloise was going to her room, saw a candle lit in the study, thinking that it was better to turn it down to avoid a fire, El entered the place.
Sir Phillip was like a statue looking at the wall, Eloise followed the man's gaze, seeing that he was looking at the only painting of Phillip, Marina and the twins, she thought it was better to leave but curiosity weighed more on her, and it was because it was impossible for Eloise not to want to know everything.

-do you miss her?

Sir Phillip jumped slightly, surprised at the interruption.

-Miss Bridgerton!

-Excuse me, did the light wake you up?

"No," she smiled, "I was reading a book for the twins before sleeping." Plus my room is on the other side.

"Oh that's true" the man smiled at her.

Eloise was not a big fan of seeing handsome men, but the one in front of her looked incredibly exceptional when he smiled and not because she saw that smile very often, in fact in those five months that she had been in the mansion they had interacted so little that All the encounters could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

-do you miss her? -Eloise insisted

-Can I refuse to answer that question, miss?

-why?

-I'm going to sound like a terrible person.

-Are you happy?

"No," the knight said quickly.

-so?

-I imagine you know that Marina was or was going to be my older brother's wife?

-Yes, she was pregnant with him, isn't?