Chapter 36

Penelope had been friends with Eloise for so many years that she couldn't remember when they didn't were friends, so she knew Miss Bridgerton from head to toe. That afternoon when she went to look for evidence in the room she had strategically brought Thomas so that Violet wouldn't follow her to her room.

Upon entering the room Penelope went directly to her sister-in-law's hiding place; there was only a letter among other irrelevant things. Pen opened the letter, it was from Marina, her cousin, there were no more words in it, but out of affection for Penelope she even scolded Eloise for saying something as delicate as her secret LW through correspondence, Penelope was touched and felt some guilt towards her cousin after all her husband was Lady Crane's ex-fiancé. But what she read at the end made her feel great happiness.

By the way, Miss Bridgerton, if you were knowledgeable you would have my dear cousin by your side, she did nothing but defend Colin, and speak well of you and your family, you will never find a more loyal friend. I am delighted that she is now Mrs. Bridgerton, there is no other woman in this world who loved your brother more than her nor who deserves it more, on the other hand it is you and your brother who should work harder to be worthy.

I thank you for protecting my cousin's secret with your life.

Lady Crane

Penelope couldn't bear the emotion, her cousin didn't hate her, in fact she still loved her, she promised herself as soon as she gets better, would travel to the Crane mansion.

That is! thought Lady Featherington Eloise is with Marina!

She put the letter back in the place, and had tea with her mother-in-law and brothers-in-law, she told herself that Marina was a good influence on Eloise, and she should let them be together for a while. So she decided to say to the family that she had found nothing.

That afternoon when Pen arrived home she had found her worst nightmare come true. soon realized that her husband had not been unfaithful, simply a woman out of her senses drugged him.

The doctor told Penelope that woman gave Colin too much powder, enough to throw a horse, since he is so big and tall the effects were immediate, a little more and she would have killed him, so Penelope was scared. With the doctor's testimony, she claimed to accuse her of attempted murder, which the police did not dispute, and she was beheaded for the charge of attempted murder of a baron. The event was so private that Pen ensured no one from the Bridgerton family will find out.

She did not want such a punishment no matter how much she hated her, but it was the only sentence there was since it was a nobleman, if Jessica, what was the woman's name, had done it before her son was born and Colin did not have the title, she would have earned ten years in prison which was basically being a prostitute for the officers.

For Penelope, the whole process was an eye-opener because she did not even need the doctor's testimony, it was just for the officer to see Colin so that she would be found guilty, how easy it would be for a nobleman to lie and send an innocent person to justice by paying a crime.

It took Colin a week to return to normal, when he was finally able to get out of bed, Penelope told him everything that had happened with the woman, who was decapitated the same night of the accident. Which made him feel calmer because he didn't have to watch his back, but at the same time he felt guilty for some reason.

All the decoration on the second floor had been remodeled, because the two had bad memories, the mirror on the ceiling hadn't yet be inaugurated.

The couple's relationship was quite cold, they hadn't had a kissing session in five months, neither talked about it. Pen did not want to make Colin uncomfortable and he for the same reason.