19. Good Hands

Mirabelle's POV 

“Stand beside your man, I want to take a picture.” Mom said excitedly that I nearly changed my decision to tell them what was really going on.

But never! Even though Eugene's gaze showed appreciation of my presence, I didn't falter.

I stood next to him, and as mom pulled out her phone, Eugene crept his hand to the small of my back.

Nope, I was still not changing my mind!

His hand did feel good, though. He wasn't doing doing much..his hand was just resting there and running my mind all over.

“Lovely!” She finished off, and I moved away from him. 

“Um..babe..can I talk to you for a second?” He casually requested referring to me. I gaped a bit at this. What the heck was going on?

“Um..sure.” Mimi passed me a wink before she left with mom. Dad requested to see Eugene afterwards, and he also left to attend a call.

I wondered why he would want to talk to me because apart from an apology he owed me, we had nothing else to talk about.

I checked him out very quickly before I reset my face straight.

“What do you want?” I folded my arms.

“I want to apologise.” Uh…who was this again? And why was he putting my perceptions to shame?!

“For what exactly?” I narrowed my eyes.

“For yesterday, I spoke unkindly to you.”

“Very unkindly, in fact, very rude.” I raised my brows, and he stepped closer.

“I'm sorry. I really am.” He spoke softly, and I gulped.

“Mirabelle.” He mentioned my name, holding my upper arms while I stared at him wide-eyed. Remorse looked so cute on him.

“Um..”  I murmured, unsure of what to say. “I have to go help in the kitchen..Dad must be waiting for you.” 

“Do you forgive me?” He leaned in.

“Eugene.” I muttered, closing my eyes. 

“Mirabelle…” He whispered, releasing my arms, and I let out a breath, opening my eyes. I couldn't look at his face, so I just left. 

“Your lipstick looks intact, but why do you look so flustered?” My mum teased, and I laughed nervously

“Mom, we were just discussing some things. 

“Sweet talking…you mean?” Mimi correctly, and I whined.

Weird…Eugene apologised?

***

He pulled out a chair for me to sit, and I sat, fully aware of the gaze exchange between Mimi and Mom. 

The way they were so happy made it too difficult for me to tell them. 

Eugene sat next to me, and a sense of warmth came over me.

Damn, he smelt so good!

We hadn't spoken much since his.strange apology..thoughts were just running through my head.

Had he finally changed his ways. Was he going to treat me better? I could give him a shot.

Besides, he apologised to me alone…that even makes him more  genuine 

So he meant it, and Mimi was right.. Eugene did know how to treat women right.

The grace was said, and we began eating, and conversations started trooping in.

“So, Eugene, do you intend to go back to London?” My dad asked.

“Yes, maybe but just to visit some projects…I'll even leave in a week's time.. but I'll be back.” He turned to look at me.

“I see…but in case you were to stay there permanently, what would happen between you and my daughter?” My mum asked.

“Oh that will be quite later…but for now, we're even planning on moving in soon.” He said, and I widened my eyes. 

What the heck?! I'm going to kill him!

“Remember?” He asked, looking at my surprised face.

“Uh well-” I paused my speech when Eugene's hand crept through the slit in my dress and rested on my thigh

Under the table!

He gave me a look, which spoke volumes  about playing along.

He'd better explain later 

“As I was saying, we were still discussing because it was a bit too soon, and you might not approve.” I added, and my face flushed when his hand moved a little upwards. 

“Oh no, it's not an issue at all.. Your dad and I used to even stay together during our college days.” My mom giggled.

“Those days were wild.” My dad smirked, and I frowned a bit…okay TMI..

“See? Ours isn't even extreme.” Eugene spoke.

“It's  totally fine by me.” My mom agreed.

“And me.” My dad spoke.

“But I wish you'd visit me very often” Mimi requested.

“Yeah.. “ I mumbled, taking a glass to drink. He squeezed my thigh when I started drinking, and I squealed inwardly,  almost choking.

“Eugene!” I groaned, moving my hand over my thigh to take his off. When I attempted, he laced his fingers with mine and smirked teasingly at me. He knew what he was doing!

My mom took her wine glass and gave me a knowing look, and my face flushed again. Ugh!

“So young man..” My dad spoke, his brows knitted together, and I quickly took my hand out of his grip.

“Yes, Mr. Leigh.” He replied.

“Do you intend on marrying my daughter? If so, when?”

“Jethro!” My mom glared at him. 

“What?” He shrugged.

“Don't scare him away.” She murmured. 

“Um..very soon…I'll marry her. Yes.” His response was calm and polite, and I even wondered if he was being for real.

God, don't let this happen!

I felt like blurting out at that moment that I couldn't take it anymore. But I couldn't,  a part of me had rendered me powerless.

“Hmm,” my dad was strange, actually. I didn't know whether or not he liked Eugene and I being “together” or he was against it. 

“You know, I don't have an issue with you…you seem responsible and suitable…but always remember that she's my only daughter. Treat her with care, love, and respect…Never make her cry.”

Eugene gulped and nodded before he responded 

“Alright. You two have my blessing.”

“Oh please! You and your threats.” My mom rolled her eyes playfully. 

“It's a promise.” He shrugged.

“Jethro, I know my son. He's exactly like his father…trust me, Mirabelle is in good hands.”

Very good hands!