26. Understanding

Elvin-Eugene's POV

She walked over to stand in front of me, and she folded her arms. I looked about, despite her gazing, and fixed my hands in my pockets.

“We really to talk.” She took a step towards me, and I I took one back.

“I don't have time for this.” I told her.

“Um, mister, you better do, I'm not taking any excuses.” She sighed.

“What do you want?”

“You know you owe me an explanation.”

“About what?” I asked, and she moved closer.

“Eugene.” God, please save me.

I looked down at her, straight into her eyes, and cussed under my breath. They were so bewitching, and the fact that she was so close wasn't helping me either.

“Just go straight to the point.” I spoke, and it almost sounded like a whisper.

“Okay fine, but don't get angry or snap at me, alright?”

“I can't promise that.”

“Eugene, really?” She stepped much closer, and I felt like holding her waist and pressing her against me, but I had to keep my composure.

“Mirabelle, don't come any closer.” I held her arms and moved her back. I wasn't intending to make her feel bad, as she probably did, but then I knew what her being close to me could do.

“Okay.” She breathed. “I don't know what Lynelle and you talked about.. but I want to know why you're being hostile.”

“Well I also don't know what you're assuming, but just because I was concerned about you a few days ago doesn't mean that we're close friends or it should continue that way.”

“And why?” Her eyes looked glossy, and it held a lot of pain.

“Because I said so.” I passed by her again.

“I'm not done.” She spoke, stopping me again. She came to stand closer to me again. “Who are you?”

“Elvin-Eugene Avens?”

“No, I know that…what I mean is..who exactly are you? Have we met way before? Because it seemed you sort of knew me on our flight.”

“You don't remember me, huh?” I gazed straight at her, and she shook her head.

“No, please remind me I beg you.” She intertwined her fingers.

“I can't.”

“Eugene please.” She pouted a little, and I felt a pull in  my heart. God, she was weakening me.

“So you don't remember me at any point of time in your life?”

“No,” she lowered her head. “Please tell me, maybe there's something that needs to be fixed.”

“There's nothing to be fixed!”

“Yes, there is.”

“Either way, I don't want you to fix it.”

“Why?”

“Because I said so.” Her shoulders slumped, and she didn't say a word.

“Have you had guys…you know proposing to you and all that?” I randomly asked hesitantly. She looked confused at my question, but she answered none the less.

“Yeah…about a few.”

“Do you remember any?”

“Um .. I don't remember their full names, but I do remember Sean, Kenneth…I think Al-Alvin, Prince… and Bryan.” She responded.

I only knew of Sean and Kenneth because they used to be one of my friends back in school, not too close, though.

“So…how did it go?” I inhaled.

“Um…I did say no to Sean, Kenneth, and Alvin…but I did date Prince and Bryan.”

“That was it?”

“Yeah…why are you asking me these?”

“Why didn't you let Alvin off the hook so easily..”

“You…you know him?” She asked.

“Whatever.” I mumbled angrily and walked away.

****

I opened the fridge to get a bottle of water, and I heard two people arguing, specifically Lynelle and Mirabelle.

“Hello, where do you think you're going?” Mirabelle asked.

“Where else other than getting away from you?”

“So wait, you're going to our room?” She stressed on the word our. I didn't want to interrupt just yet, so I opened the bottle to drink water.

“Isn't that where he is?”

“Excuse me? You can't just be doing that.”

“And why?”

“Why should you even think about it? You're probably here to seduce him. Look at how you're even dressed.”

“Don't be threatened since Eugene doesn't even have eyes for you.”

“You stop being slutty first.” Okay this was where I went to the kitchen to interfere.

“Uh…what's going on here?” I came in.

“Well, your girlfriend called me a slut.” She stated. Honestly, she had dressed a little bit suggestive today.

“But you are.” Mirabelle hissed.

“How dare you-” She lunged forward but I gripped her to prevent her from hitting Mirabelle.

“Lynelle, calm down.” I murmured. Mirabelle had her arms crossed as she glared intensively at her.

“Eugene doesn't even like you so why are you being so clingy?” Lynelle spoke.

“You're quite a hypocrite aren't you? Considering the fact that you came all the way from London to Rio?”

“So? Our friendship isn't for your understanding.”

“What a nice way of saying you're not head over heels in love with him.”

“Well even if I did, I'd stand a better chance than you.”.

“Yeah, right.” She scoffed. I was even surprised as to how I didn't even have anything to say. I was just looking between  them

“Lynelle please calm.down.” I whispered into her ear. I glanced at Mirabelle and saw her eyeing us both. She then rolled her eyes before she walked  away.

Was she jealous?

“Come with me.” I told Lynelle and we walked out of the kitchen.

When we got to the bedroom she started to cry.

“Shoot, Lynelle what's wrong?” I cupped her cheek.

“She was right…it's true.”

“About the slut thing? Damn Lynelle I thought you knew better.”

“No, no I do know better. “

“Then..then what?” I asked hoping it wasn't the next thing that came to mind.

No, no-

“I like you, okay? I really do…I've liked you for a long time and-” She paused whimpering.

Oh shit  this was something I was dreading. If she had told me earlier, I wouldn't be dreading it as I am now.

Because things had changed and become complicated.

She placed her head on my chest and I lightly placed my hand on her back, feeling awkward.

Mirabelle came in shortly after and she gave me a look which made me feel so guilty.

Ugh this girl.