2.1 Five Years Later

It was 1989. Five years had passed since the Ghostbusters first took the city by storm. After the Gozer incident, business carried on as usual for the next few months. The guys enjoyed a successful venture and even received the key to the city. However, this success did not last long.

Before long, the calls became less frequent. After a few months, the lawsuits started coming in. Nearly every state, county, and city agency in New York was suing the Ghostbusters for the damage that was caused by the Manhattan Crossrip. Even the Stay Puft corporation sued for defamation to their character. This all came to a head in mid 1985 when the Ghostbusters were given a restraining order that prohibited them from continuing their work as paranormal investigators and eliminators.

And with that, the Ghostbusters were no more. The guys ended up going their separate ways. Spengler ended up going back to Colombia University and began his research projects. Ray opened up a small bookstore and occasionally worked birthday gigs with Zeddemore. Winston went to work for the airlines, having a fairly decent salary. Venkman was perhaps the oddest of the bunch. He became the host of a talk show called 'World of the Psychic' were he had guests who experienced odd phenomenons. 

As for Y/N L/N, he went back to Colombia as a student. There, he continued his studies and eventually graduated with a major in both electrical engineering and marketing. During his free time, he would even help Egon in the lab. 

Now 26, the young man was trying to find a promising career. He decided to lean into his marketing major and become a graphic designer for events and activities. He wasn't having much luck with clients as he was an independent contractor. Those that did hire him didn't pay very much. Still, he was able to make a decent living out of it.  

Y/N was getting ready for work. He walked through his small apartment, making breakfast. There were eggs sizzling on the pan. Papers and boxes with files were placed all around the living room. The television was switched on to the morning news. On a small desk by the recliner was a picture frame. It had the five founding Ghostbusters standing in front of the old firehouse. 

Imagine Y/N standing between Egon and Ray

He suddenly heard a knock on his door. He walked over to it, expecting it to be the plumber he called.

Y/N: Thank God. I called you guys last Tuesday. What took you so-

He stopped when he opened the door and was greeted by a familiar face. Winston Zeddemore was standing there with a grin on his face. He was wearing his Ghostbuster uniform with a black undershirt. 

Winston: Well, I'm sorry I couldn't come sooner.

Y/N smiled and shook the man's extended hand. They patted each other on the back as Y/N let him into the small apartment.

Y/N: It's great to see you Winston. Can I offer you any coffee?

Winston: Yes, please. I'll gladly take some.

Y/N walked over to the coffee pot. He poured two cups of the black hot liquid. The young man continued talking as he did so.

Y/N: I'll take it the Ecto is out front.

Winston: Yeah. She could really use a new paint job though.

Y/N chuckled as he handed Zeddemore his coffee. He remembered when Ray first bought the old hearse and how much work it needed. Even when all the work was done, it still wasn't a smooth ride.

Y/N: Yeah. She's seen a lot of action. I'll take it you and Ray are still doing birthday parties?

Winston: Only as a side gig. I'm on my way to go pick him up this morning.

Y/N: I'd join you guys, but I still want to keep my dignity, or at least what little I have left. 

It was Winston's turn to chuckle. The two continued to talk about the glory days and what they were up to now. Y/N liked seeing his old friend again.

Winston: So, how are things going on your end?

Y/N: Honestly, not great.

Winston: Low pay?

Y/N: Meh. The pay's decent and the the career is interesting. I just... I don't have that same passion like before, you know? People treat me like a newcomer with no experience, or like someone who knows very little about the real world.

Winston: Hey man, I hear you. When I was in the marines and then a Ghostbuster, I was always doing something. There was work that constantly needed to be done. Now, I'm lucky if I have a file on my desk. 

The two men sat for a moment before continuing their conversation. Before long, both had to leave. Winston got up and walked to the door as Y/N was putting on his coat. 

Y/N: Hey man, don't be a stranger. Call sometime. Maybe we can get the guys together for lunch.

Winston: Sure thing man.