2.5 Christmas Creeps

It was Christmas Eve and the snow had begun to lightly fall. It wasn't enough to cover the roads, but it left the trees and ground in a beautiful, soft white cover. The sun had set over the horizon, leaving a clear night sky.

Y/N was driving to the Wellesly Manor on the outskirts of the city. It was close to the Jersey border, located on a hill surrounded by trees. It was about a thirty minute drive from the office. 

Y/N had decided to do some research on the Wellesly family. Apparently their fortune dated back to a wealthy oil tycoon in the 1910s. The manor was built so that its owner could overlook the city in the distance. Since then, the manor and its inheritance has passed down from generation to generation. Each wealthy generation afterwards has lived a life of luxury and philanthropy. From trophy hunters to collectors, the Welleslys never had to work a day in their lives to accrued more wealth. 

Y/N continued driving through the snow before turning right and pulling up the driveway. He looked out the window, taking the manor in. It had a fountain that the driveway circled around. Lights were strewn around the house with wreaths hanging above the windows. It was gigantic. The front door was nearly as big as the firehouse's. 

Y/N parked his car as he got out

Y/N parked his car as he got out. He wore a black tuxedo jacket with black pants and a white undershirt with a tie. As he made his way to the front door he noticed guests arriving. Women wearing elegant dresses were being led by men to the entrance. 

Y/N eventually made his way to the front door. The doorman looked at him, a person whose quality he had not seen enter the house often. Y/N showed him his invitation and proceeded to walk inside. He entered a large ballroom foyer. The ceiling rose two floors up and a large Christmas tree stood on the left side of the room. A large staircase could be seen towards the back of the room. A portrait hung on the wall above the staircase depicting a hefty man. Y/N recognized him as Cornelius Wellesly, the oil tycoon to whom the family owed their fortune. 

Around the room, older people were sipping expensive champaign while talking about their vacations to Peru or Brazil. Y/N felt a little out of place. He probably seemed like an outsider to these people of large wealth. The young man suddenly felt a nail poke him in his side. He spun around to see who it was and was met with a smiling face.

Grace: Took you long enough to show up. 

She had a wide smile as she teased him. The young woman wore a green dress with red swirls around the edges. She looked like she had been wrapped in a gift box.

Y/N: I... You look gorgeous.

Grace: Thank you. You look ravishing yourself.

The two shared a moment of silence just taking each other in. Y/N eventually spoke up.

Y/N: Quite the party you have going on here. 

Grace: Yeah. My folks like to go all out, you know.