3.1 Dirt Farmers

The early 1990s proved to be a prosperous time for the Ghostbusters. Business was still strong and people believed in them. Y/N, Ray, and Egon even introduced new equipment including a gunner seat added to Ecto-1 as well as an RTV ghost trap. 

As for Y/N, he was having the best time of his life. He loved his work as a Ghostbuster and cleaning up the city. He continued dating Grace Wellesly and the two eventually tied the knot in the mid 1990s, officially becoming a married couple. Shortly afterwards they even adopted an eight year old boy. Y/N now had a loving family of his own.

Speaking of a loving family, Egon would introduce Y/N to his own daughter, Callie. Y/N didn't know Spengler even had a family, but could tell Egon really loved his daughter even if he only showed it in his own way. However, Y/N also noticed a change in his friend. 

Ever since the Vigo incident with Oscar, Spengler became paranoid that something could happen to his own child. He slowly began trying to distance his work from her, sometimes even shutting her out completely. He started researching more end of the world scenarios and became increasingly paranoid about the end times.

Around the late 1990s, business started slowing down. There became less and less ghosts to catch. Venkman said they did too good a job cleaning up the town. Sometimes, they were lucky to get ten or even just one call a week. This wasn't helped by Egon who would tell customers that their little ghost problems didn't matter because the world may be coming to an end.

To help his friend calm down, Y/N decided to invite him on their family road trip to his hometown of Summerville, Oklahoma. This proved to be a mistake. Spengler began researching Ivo Shandor's connection to the town and the mine he built. He eventually lost it. He started declaring that the end was sooner than they all expected. 

Y/N wanted to believe his friend, but he just couldn't. All their previous encounters entailed a rise in paranormal activity. With ghost sightings on the downfall, there was just no sense of any immanent threat. Spengler also kind of spooked him out. He was sounding less like the mad genius Y/N had befriended all those years ago and more like a crazed lunatic.

Then, there was the final nail in the coffin. One day in 1998, Y/N and Ray showed up to work to find that Egon had left with the Ecto-1, his proton pack, all the ghost traps, and sixteen ounces of fuel isotope. Worse, he left his 13 year old daughter behind. With that, the Ghostbusters were officially out of business.

The Ghostbusters all went their separate ways after that. Ray went back to his occult book store. Venkman became a professor emeritus at SUNY Cortland teaching advertising and promotion. Winston went into finance and coined a pretty fortune. 

As for Y/N, he eventually started helping Grace at her charity program. She called it 'Good Tidings' and worked to help those who were homeless, couldn't find a job, or just needed food and shelter. Y/N helped with some of the advertisements as well as keeping the place operational. He even got Winston to help with a few donations.

Life carried on. Y/N would stay in touch with his friends. He and Winston would meet for lunch every other Saturday. While Y/N was heart broken that he wasn't a Ghostbuster anymore, he didn't feel like it was his passion anymore. He now had a wife and kid to look after. They were his passion now. 

What really upset Y/N was Egon's betrayal. He partly blamed himself for Egon's state of mind. His family trips to Summerville became less frequent. He wanted to contact his friend and set things straight, but he was also a bit scared and spooked out by his old colleague.

Then, around 2016, Egon contacted Y/N. He wanted him to meet him in Summerville so he could show him something. Something big. Y/N reluctantly agreed as he saw it as another chance for his family to visit his parents' place again. 

When Y/N eventually went to meet Egon, he found him living in an old, rundown farmhouse. It clearly had not been maintained well. The building almost appeared to lean towards one corner. Antennas and radar dishes were everywhere on the roof. 

Y/N met up with Egon

Y/N met up with Egon. After so many years, he was just relieved to see his old friend was in good health. Spengler then started showing Y/N what he found. He said it was a coming storm, that they had only managed to banish it once before and that it could never truly die. Now, it was trying to find a way to get back into our world. 

Y/N still continued to think Egon was crazy. There hadn't been a ghost sighting in nearly 20 years. Then, he showed him the mine shaft. Seeing exactly what was inside those mines and what Shandor had been up to, Y/N began to believe his old friend. The two reconciled and Y/N promised to help Spengler deal with this problem so that he could get back to his family. 

With that, Y/N moved back to Summerville to help Egon. He told his wife and son to stay in New York as he wanted to protect them. This wasn't as bad Egon leaving as his kid was now in his 30s. Grace however was a bit more distraught at her husband leaving. He eventually convinced her to stay if only for their son's sake. 

Y/N and Egon continued to investigate the old Shandor Mines. They eventually heard the story of the 'Shandorian Curse' and how all the miners just killed themselves one day. The two found that these deaths were sacrifices meant to build enough spiritual energy to open a dimensional gateway in the mines. 

They set up a system of four proton canons aimed at the sacrificial death pit, all hooked up to an amplified PKE meter

They set up a system of four proton canons aimed at the sacrificial death pit, all hooked up to an amplified PKE meter. If the meter detected a gateway starting to open, the canons would activate, crossing the streams and closing the gate. This had the unfortunate side effect of an earthquake that routinely shook the town. 

However, over time, the earthquakes became more frequent. The gateway was opening more and more often. They knew there was only one way for this entity to truly get a foot in their world, and that was through its minions. So, the two devised a plan.

That all led to tonight. The two were at the Shandor Mines as storm clouds began to appear above the mountain. Y/N stood, looking at the sky. He was ready to face off against the one name he hoped he'd never hear again.

Gozer.