Yggdrasil's Epilogue: The End of an Old World - Part 1

In the year 2138, the state of the world remained as bad as it had been throughout the entire century. This predicament could be attributed to the ever-increasing pollution, a consequence of enormous conglomerates relentlessly exploiting every available resource on the planet. Unfortunately, the plight of the world seemed hopeless; these corporations and conglomerates had immense power, and opposing them was akin to painting a target on one's back and risking certain death.

However, today would mark the beginning of something significant. While it might not hold true for the entire world, for a select few individuals, it was true to become a turning point in their lives.

The rain poured relentlessly from the sky today, but it was no ordinary rain. It was acidic rain, the kind that made life unbearable and miserable for those who didn't reside within certified Arcologies. Face masks, while offered some protection against the pollution, could only do so much. These corrosive downpours carried with them not just discomfort, but also the threat of diseases. Prolonged exposure could result in conditions like skin cancer and other life-threatening illnesses.

One might assume that in an advanced world, ailments like cancer would have effective treatments. And indeed, they did exist, but the harsh reality of the world prevented many from accessing them. The cost of medical treatment had become so high that people often preferred death over bearing such expenses. Insurance companies no longer provided the extensive coverage they once did, leading to the untimely death of many individuals due to these diseases.

Despite the possibility of making treatments affordable for all, the immense conglomerates and corporations refused to allow it. Doing so would mean surrendering the most profitable sector of the healthcare industry, which was unthinkable. In the face of such power, the common person was helpless.

The world was in a state of decline, and this was no secret to anyone. The acidic rain served as a grim reminder of this impending doom. It was common knowledge that if something drastic wasn't done soon, humanity would be facing extinction, whether it was a rapid demise or a slow decline over the course of centuries.

Yet, despite being aware of this, very few were willing to take action. Most people were preoccupied with the daily struggles of life, just trying to make ends meet. Some, however, believed that the goals of the Evans Corporation were noble. They publicly supported this massive conglomerate, further promoting its efforts to be a guiding light in a world on the brink of destruction. As they say.

Regardless of one's stance on the issue, the unyielding human spirit was built on survival, preservation, and the natural desire to continue living. Giving up, even in the face of hopelessness and despair, was simply not a part of the humane nature.

In Tokyo today, the Arcologies faced a heavy downpour of rain, accompanied by loud lightning that grew stronger with each passing moment. Luckily, the Tokyo Arcologies, home to the country wealthy elites and powerful business figures, remained untouched. Their resistance was thanks to a protective dome that could endure even the harshest natural disasters. Considering the high-status residents within these Arcologies, it was clear that no shortcuts were taken when it came to their safety. The unbreakable dome was designed to ensure that even the most powerful natural disasters, such as earthquakes, would pose no danger, and even if they did, the damage would be minimal.

"Good thing you've made such good friends, but I think it's about time you decide about it," echoed the caller's voice in the young man's empty bedroom. With his beautiful long black hair falling behind his back and blue eyes fixed on the screen, Lucian listened closely.

"Yes, Dad, I heard you the first time," replied Lucian as he looked at the screen before him. His eyes blinked as he gazed at the blank profile, with only the name of the caller displayed as [Dad].