1

once again, this book is part of the gabi-verse

it will make sense (ish) on its own as a calum book but will include 'spoilers' from the other books about peoples relationships and lives, and you might feel like you miss a bit of context about characters (you will only learn what Charlie learns about them)

timeline order of gabi-verse is :
dreaming, evolve, repeat, ceaseless, restart, resolve, wish

upload order of gabi-verse is :
evolve, repeat, ceaseless, restart, resolve, dreaming, wish

-

3 years forward
Calum

"I can't believe she convinced you to do this. First Ashton, now you,"

"Oh Mads, don't even get me started on the things Gabi has convinced us to do. Getting me and Ash to foster feels like nothing,"

"Seems to have been the best decision Ashton ever made. I hope it is just as fulfilling for you. You have always been good for Gabi so I expect you are gonna be amazing at this,"

"Thank you, Maddox,"

"And you can still work because they are gonna be teenagers. Did you know, they are often the ones that struggle most with finding care,"

"Yeah. I think that is a shame, that is when you need someone most,"

I put the last pillowcase on the bed, and she put the basket of toiletries Gabi had put together on the bed, smiling at our work.

"Perfect. Any teenager is gonna love this room I think. Anyway, I need to be off, I have to get to this meeting,"

"I cannot believe your book is getting movie adapted,"

"I am a nepo baby," she whispered, "I can,"

I laughed and she giggled, hugging me with a kiss to the cheek.

"I will see you soon. Oh! Gabi wanted me to check you definitely had your suit for the wedding,"

"Yes. I am very ready for next week,"

"Brilliant. See you soon!"

"See you, Maddox,"

She ran out the house and shut the door, so I smoothed out the bedding and placed a teddy in the middle of the pillows. Strictly, I hadn't had a placement for this room, but I had a call to say I might get one soon, so I had asked if anyone was free to get it all ready and Maddox was. Everyone else was either at work or uni.

For a lot of people, life had changed. Gabi was a doctor, a real, actual doctor in a hospital. Maddox had written a bestselling novel, soon to be movie which was just, insane. Axel had got into uni to train as a nurse, and Ally had just recently scored herself an apprenticeship at a veterinary surgery. Michael and Crystal got married, and Luke, Sierra, and Ashton were all enjoying watching their kids grow up.

I had sort of fallen into static. I loved my job, I loved my family, but I was making no personal growth. After her success with Ash, Gabi had started putting this idea in my head that maybe I could foster teenagers, as I would mostly be able to work, and I did do a pretty darn good job at looking after the four off them (Mads included).

So... I did. Not blindly of course, having seen what Ash went through it was impossible to go blindly, and it definitely wasn't on a whim. I had already had a few placements, and it was going great, but I had decided I wanted to create a better space in my home, so had taken some time to redecorate and make a really safe, and cool environment. I had a chair hanging from the ceiling, bean bags, a tv and games console, and some posters depending on who was coming.
It was the final touches today, and it was nice to have it all done.

I took a shower, having worked up quite a sweat, then headed downstairs, hearing a knock on my door. To my surprise, Axel was on the other side, and I let him in.

"Hiya dude, all okay?"

"Yeah. I got the time wrong and I am half an hour early to get Ally so thought I would see if you were in,"

"Nice. Would you like a drink?"

"Water, please,"

"How was your day?"

"Good. Uni is so fun, Calum. I am learning so much,"

"That is amazing to hear. You are gonna be the best nurse ever, I am gonna need you working with me,"

"Yeah," he laughed, "How is the bedroom looking?"

"All finished!"

"Really? Mind if I look?"

"Go ahead,"

I led him upstairs and he looked inside, gasping; "You have killed this man! It makes me really happy that you are doing this,"

"Well I know how much it helped you and Ally,"

"Yeah, it really did. They are so lucky to have you, Cal, even if they're only here for a few days. You used to help me so much,"

"I hope I still help you!"

"Definitely,"

"Who is on cooking duty at your house tonight?"

"Ally. I am scared,"

"She isn't a bad cook,"

"The food is great, the kitchen almost blows up three times getting there though,"

"Yeah, that is true,"

"Dad finds it amusing, to a certain point, then he reminds us where the fire extinguisher is,"

"That's just your dad being himself,"

"Why did you ask who was cooking?"

"If it was you or your dad I might've come over, but I know Ally won't appreciate the change of plans,"

"Definitely not," he laughed, "Though she is getting better about it. I think work is really helping her out,"

"It makes me so happy to see you both doing what you love,"

"Same, apart from her having a boyfriend now. I don't like it, or him,"

"Part of growing up. You had a boyfriend once too,"

"Until he moved 5 hours away,"

"Ah well, that is teenage love I am afraid. Had you better get going?"

"Oh shit, yeah. I will catch you another day?"

"Yeah. Definitely before the wedding,"

"Of course,"

I took his cup and waved him off the drive, putting it in the dishwasher. Nowadays the house felt so quiet when someone left- I was very excited for my next placement. Even though saying goodbye was not a walk in the park, knowing I could make a difference, even for a few days, was good enough for me.