39

Calum

"Oh my god,"

Charlie clattered her cutlery down mid meal and started to cry uncontrollably. Unsure of if it was about the babies, I moved closer to her, gently rubbing her arm.

"What's wrong honey?"

"My nanny's favourite flower was daisies,"

"Awh, it is lovely that you got some daisy things today then,"

"No. Well yes, but I asked her for a sign earlier and I think she is giving me a sign? Maybe?"

"Maybe!"

"I asked her for one,"

"Yeah," I said quietly, "What was it about?"

"Secret,"

"Okay,"

"I will wait for another one first,"

I passed her back her fork, and lifted my plate to my new seat, then ate with her leant in my side. Being 17, almost 18, was a while back for me, but I knew it confusing and stressful a lot of the time. I didn't blame her for asking for signs. It was always easier to believe someone else was telling you what to do than decide yourself.

After we had finished eating, I cleaned up and we ended up on the sofa watching some tv. I was enjoying being able to comfort her a bit more by hugging her, and fussing over her, because that was always how I liked to show love. Plus, Gabi was one of the clingiest people I had ever met, Axel too, so it felt normal to me to be able to help that way.

"Shut up,"

"What?"

She grabbed the remote and rewinded, pausing the tv. We were watching some sort of gameshow, and it had showed and old tv scene which is what she stopped on. She stared at it for a few moments, then looked at me, and back at the tv.

"I think you are my dad,"

"Oh right,"

"That is my nanny. She used to be an extra. Look. Right there,"

"She looks like you,"

"I forgot she did this. I have no photos of her. I think she sent me to you so you could be my dad,"

"Well I am very honoured,"

"If you made the cut you should be,"

She got up and stood closer to it, then gently touched the screen, sighing.

"You are my dad,"

I chuckled a bit, and she turned round, folding her arms.

"I am serious!"

"I know. I would love to be your dad,"

"Really?"

"Yeah,"

"Okay, good. I think you will be a good dad, and I think you give me lots of nice things and have a nice house. I always used to complain about her cooking too so I am glad she found me a good cook,"

"Not a house, it is home,"

"Yeah,"

She sat back down and hugged me tightly, letting me stroke her hair as she pressed her head against my chest. I had always wanted this kind of bond in my life, deep down. What I had with Gabi and Axel was nice, but this was different, and I knew Ash has felt the same when he met his kids.

"I love you," I said, "I promise you will never feel like you have to go back to the things you did before, and I promise I will always be here to talk to,"