22

Calum

"Two strong heartbeats still,"

"Thank you so much," I said, "Let's get you back home,"

Luckily, it was nothing serious. She was just a bit run down and needed some rest. I called work to let them know I wasnt coming, then drove us back home and sent her up to bed while I made her some lunch.

When I got up there, she had fallen asleep, so I ate it myself in my room instead, watching some tv. I hadn't heard from any Hemmings, and was filled with worry, but I knew they would be dealing with it with the circle of people they wanted right now.

Eventually, Charlie woke up again so I got her some lunch and gave her some medicine, then we watched a movie together. She seemed to perk up in the evening anyway, and even asked for what she would like to eat, so that was a relief.
While I cooked, she had a bath, then I dished it up and we ate at the table.

"Sorry I got mad at you earlier,"

"Oh don't worry about it.  You were hardly mad,"

"You are a really good grown up,"

"Thank you,"

"I really appreciate when you are patient with me,"

"I have had many, many years to build it,"

"You actually listen to me and consider my feelings,"

"You know, there are a lot of people out there who do that. A lot who don't, but I think you are gonna find a lot of people who do,"

"I hope,"

"If they don't then they don't deserve your company,"

"I know I hate people walking all over me but I let it happen a lot," she said, "I dunno. I feel a bit shit. I feel like the adrenaline of moving has run out,"

"Yeah, but I think the pace is gonna slow down with that so it'll be okay,"

"Thank you for always telling me it is gonna be okay,"

"It is! You'll always have a helping hand here,"

"You are a really amazing person, Calum. You showed so much kindness to me, even though I was a stranger. I hope you have been rewarded in life for that,"

"I think I have. Thank you, that is very sweet,"

"Have you had a happy life?"

"I think I have for the most part," I said, "But things definitely settle down as you grow up. Being a teenager is hard!"

"I hope so,"

"They will do. Do you have anything you are proud of?"

"I am not sure,"

"I think it is good to try and do things you are proud of,"

"I will be proud when I finish school maybe,"

"I think you should be, yeah!"

"I hope I do well enough,"

"You can always go back and do this year again,"

"Maybe. I am impressed that Axel is doing nursing and Ally is already working with vets,"

"Well, they did go to a very good private school that you are more than welcome to sit the test for and go,"

"Private?!"

"Yeah... maybe post-babies,"

"Cool. I think I would be proud to attend a good school,"