10

Calum

"It has been so bad, Calum," Charlie said as I walked into the room, "I never want to come here again,"

"Hey, slow down,"

"I am so embarrassed,"

I wrapped my arms round her and rocked us side to side, hushing her. Her eyes were bright red from tears, and her nose was all stuffy.

"What's happened?"

"Everyone was making fun of me,"

"I am so sorry, honey. Shall we go home and talk?"

"Yeah,"

"Let's go then,"

Carrying her bag, I kept my arm round her shoulder and took us out to the car, opening her door for her. Once she was in, I got into the drivers seat and turned the air con on, passing her some water.

"I don't wanna go anymore,"

"Then we will figure out online school for a bit, it'll make sure you are well rested too. I am sorry that people don't know how to behave,"

"I wanted school to be normal,"

"I'm so sorry,"

She started crying, and I gently stroked her hair, but she hit my hand away; immediately, she apologised, and held it instead.

"Sorry,"

"No, I am sorry. I crossed a boundary," I said, "Sometimes people are so cruel for no reason. You are a beautiful, intelligent, strong girl and they are missing out big time. This pregnancy doesn't define who you are,"

"It does. They are gonna think back to high school and remember that pregnant girl,"

"And then they are gonna try and see where you are in the future, and I bet they will find a successful young woman,"

"You think?"

"I do,"

"I dunno. I don't wanna talk about it,"

"That's alright,"

"Please can we go home?"

"Of course. I will cook you some pasta,"

"Thanks,"

While we drove home, she calmed down, silently staring out the window. I couldn't even imagine how she felt. High school was brutal, I knew that far, and when you were obviously different to other people it wasn't going to help. It was cruel. If they weren't going to be kind, the least they could do was keep their mouth shut.

When we got home, she went up to her room, so I made her some pasta and finished my lunch as it cooked; I took it up to her room and knocked, then opened the door to her in her new pyjamas, standing infront of the mirror.

"Here,"

"Thank you. Can we play mario kart after?"

"Hell yeah,"

"You can stay,"

"It's fine,"

"Can you stay?"

She sat on one side of her bed, so I turned on the game and sat the other side, scrolling on my phone while she ate. It seemed to go down well, then she picked up the controller and we played for a bit. Hearing her laugh was a relief, and the difference was definitely noticeable now she was home. I was hoping school would send the work home- the stress was unnecessary for her.

I won most rounds, but occasionally I let her win and it cheered her up. I felt like I was managing okay with it all, and hopefully helping her the best I could considering it was only the start of her stay. She seemed level-headed and well behaved, so I wasn't worried about her staying at home. My main priority was making sure she had a positive few months, and felt like she had a community to lean on.