35

Calum

Nothing particularly interesting happened over the next couple of days. We watched movies, Mike visited us a couple of times, Axel swung round when he could, Ash too. Charlie mainly rested and managed to get the all green, and an envelope with the genders in.

Crystal was going to sort all the colour surprises out for us, and we had the party planned. We were all excited for another get together.

When we got back home, I ran Charlie a bath and put fresh bedsheets on for her. I waited for her to be out the bath before I showered, then I helped her dry her hair. All we had wanted to do was immediately freshen up.

"This feels better,"

"I bet. I think Axel wants to come over later,"

"What about Ally?"

"She is busy,"

"She hasn't come to see me at all,"

"Maybe we can convince her,"

"We won't. I feel so bad for her,"

"Give her a text, see if she will come,"

She did, then I went downstairs to start cooking while she chilled in her bedroom for a bit. I knew she had been desperate to get back in there, and felt relieved she enjoyed the space I had created.

When there was a knock at the door, she came downstairs, so I assumed Ally had actually come. I wouldn't know as they all went upstairs quickly, but I made enough food incase. I was right that she had come though, because she came downstairs to get herself some water.

"Hiya sweetheart. How are you doing?"

"Okay,"

All I could describe her as was exhausted. Huge bags under her eyes, a big frown, hunched shoulders. Something was bothering her. I knew all the kids very well, I felt, even Ally. But you didn't need to know her well to see she was upset.

"Have you done anything fun the last few days?"

She looked at me and shook her head, her cheeks going red, but then she cleared her throat and poured her drink down the drain.

"You can tell me anything," I said as she turned away. She paused, then turned back to face me, chewing on her lip.

"Really big or really small, I will listen to anything,"

Again, she paused for a moment, then left the kitchen without a word and ran back upstairs. With a sigh, I carried on cooking, trying to convince myself she was alright. Even though we still weren't the closest, and you never would have caught her round here if Charlie didn't arrive, I worried a lot. The fact she had not really messaged Charlie raised suspicions, because I knew she wasn't rude, and that she normally checked up on us all. It made me wonder whether something bad had happened, and I dreaded to think what.

When I called them down for food, they were all chatting between themselves, but then Ally decided to leave so it was only us three. I expected them to go upstairs, but they both invited me to watch a movie so we put it on in the living room.

"That food was so nice, dad. Way better than hospital food. That food made me feel sick,"

"It was nice," Axel said, giving me a weird look over her head.

"Thanks,"

"Axel said you made him a cookbook for Christmas?"

"Yeah, I was always teaching him recipes so I got one all printed out in hardback for him,"

"Nice,"

Whether she was ignoring it, or literally had not noticed it, she didn't bat an eye that she called me dad. In fact, she pulled a weird face at me, which snapped me out of my weird face, and I chuckled quietly.

I didn't know what to think. Perhaps she was trying out new waters. This week had been intense, and I had definitely been a great comfort for her. Maybe she didn't notice. I mean, Axel and Ally spoke about their dad all the time and sometimes even I called Ashton, dad, by mistake. Maybe it was just that.

I didn't wanna get my hopes up, nor ask, as I was certain that would put her off. I would just wait to hear it again.
Dad. I liked it. I loved her, she was charming, and kind, and a potentially unpopular opinion, but I liked her rambling on. If she meant it, I would be honoured to be her dad.

Ax had clearly noticed too, but didn't make a fuss either. Perhaps he had said something to her. He was a good pair of ears, she liked his company a lot, which was definitely special to me. Ax was one of the most important people in my life now, so for the pair of them to get along was a relief. She needed someone who understood.

As the film went on, she curled into my body, gently rubbing her bump. Things were definitely starting to tire her out more.

"I think I am gonna head off now, but I will see you both tomorrow,"

"Thanks for hanging out with me,"

"Always," he said, giving Charlie a fist bump, "Have a good night,"

Once he was gone, she closed her eyes and cuddled the arm I had on my free leg; I leant down and hugged her instead.

"Bed?"

"I think so,"

"You'll sleep well tonight!"

"I hope. I had a good day,"

"I am really glad to hear that. Are you excited for tomorrow?" I asked, helping her stand up.

"Yeah. I am excited to see everyone. I think I am going to make Gabi and Maddox a card,"

"That is very sweet of you to do,"

"They have done so much for me, and now they have done this which has made me feel so much better. That is okay, isn't it? That I feel better. I was so worried they would get a bad family, but now they get my family,"

"That is perfectly okay. Whatever decision was made, it should always have been the one that makes you feel better,"

"Okay. Good. I am so excited to go back to school and make some new friends, and I think I wanna start running. Axel says he loves running,"

"That all sounds brilliant. Maybe I can run with you, I am rusty,"

"Yeah. Recovering is gonna be a bit hard, isn't it?"

"Yeah, but we are here to support you,"

"I still don't know what to do about having them. I am a bit worried. I think a c-section might be a bit better for me,"

"Me too, but I will support you with whatever you decide,"

"As long as they come out crying,"

"Yep. What colour shall I wear tomorrow?"

"Well what do you think?"

"I think girls,"

"Pink. Do you have pink?"

"I do,"

"Good. Goodnight, Calum. See you in the morning. Sleep tight. Love you,"

"Love you too, honey. Lots and lots,"