21

tw/ miscarriage
Calum

When I got home, Charlie came downstairs to greet me, and gave me a hug which was nice. She looked a little pale, but seemed cheerful enough.

"How are you doing, honey?" I asked, gently rubbing her back, "Was school okay?"

"Yeah. I am good. What's in your bags?"

"The things to take to Maddox, if you're still up for it!"

"Oh, yes. I will get my shoes on. Well, please can you help me get my shoes on. I feel a bit dizzy today,"

"Oh dear. We will make sure to rest tonight but if you feel like it in the morning then we can always get you checked out,"

"Okay,"

"Have you eaten much?"

"Not really. I felt a bit nauseous,"

"Oh bless you, that might be it. I'll make us tea later on, but theres lots of snacks if you just need to keep nibbling,"

"Nibbling is a funny word. Like I am a hamster,"

"Yeah," I laughed, "I got us a gift bag,"

I put it down on the stair beside her and she helped me fill it up, then we got in the car and drove to their house. I wasn't sure if unexpected guests were going to be appreciated, so I did warn Charlie it might be a flying visit but she was happy with that.

When we got there, I rang the doorbell and I saw Gabi peek out the curtain, then she opened the door and let us in, looking very flustered.

"We just wanted to drop this care package off for Mads,"

"Oh. Thank you,"

"How is she?"

"Ern. She is fine," she said, wiping her nose.

"Have you been crying?"

"No," she said, her voice wobbling.

"Charlie, why don't you go and wait in the car? I'll be there in a few minutes,"

"Okay,"

"Maddox will really appreciate this," Gabi said, hugging her, "Thank you,"

I gave Charlie my keys and she left, so I gently hugged Gabi, scratching her back.

"What is going on sweetheart?"

"It's fine,"

"It doesn't sound fine. You know you can always tell me anything in the world,"

"I can't bring myself to say it,"

I closed my eyes and sighed, hugging her a little bit tighter. I knew. I knew it was about the baby. I could just tell.

"Where is Maddox?"

"In bed,"

"It's gonna be alright. What we need to do is get Maddox to see a doctor, would you like me to help out?"

"Yes please,"

"Okay. You pack a bag, I will go and see her,"

I kissed her forehead, then went upstairs and knocked on the bedroom door, waiting to be called in. My heart was shattered for them.

Maddox was sat on the bed with her knees to her head, tissues screwed up all round her. The blinds were shut, and it was incredibly stuffy.

"Hey sweetheart," I said quietly, "I heard you aren't feeling good?"

She broke down into tiny cries and I sat next to her, letting her melt into my hold. Maddox and I had become really close the more the pair of them grew up, and I definitely saw her as my niece alongside Gabi.