46

Calum

"She has been a pleasure, of course,"

"Calum we had so much fun,"

"I am glad to hear," I said to Ally, hugging her, "I will see you soon, and you, Axel,"

"See ya,"

I took Charlie's bag and put it in the car, then opened her door for her, and got in the drivers seat. She seemed well rested, and well entertained.

"Home we go!"

"Finally,"

"Have you had fun?"

"Yeah. I think Ally is really struggling and feeling lonely, but I helped her out. I know about feeling lonely,"

"That is really nice of you. I think she will have appreciated that a lot,"

"Yeah,"

"Happy birthday, by the way,"

"You remembered?"

"Yeah. I wasn't sure how birthdays feel to you, so I thought we could spend today however you want. People are free to come over, my bank account is free to shop, the kitchen is free to make a birthday cake,"

"I wanna see the babies,"

"Seems like a good way to start,"

Smiling, she looked out the window and watched as we drove to the hospital. Given the lack of conversation about her birthday, I had kind of let it continue that way, thinking perhaps she would eventually talk about it. When she didn't, I knew I didn't want to ignore it, but I gathered it was a weird day.

I had got her a few little gifts, and Sierra had made her a cake ready, but I knew she might just want a day in. For all I knew, this was the worst day of year for her.

When we got to hospital, we got a visitor badge and made our way upstairs; Cleo clearly heard about our arrival, and met us there with a cheesey smile. A couple of days ago, we had a checkup and got the all good, so it was nice to be here to see the babies on her own will.

"Hiya sweetheart!"

"Hi. Please can I hold Amelie?"

"Of course,"

"Happy birthday,"

"Thanks," she said cheerfully, "You remembered?"

"Yeah! Now, Amelie has been upset all morning. We have made sure nothing is wrong, and given her some food, but I think she wants some cuddles from someone she knows,"

"Is she too lonely? Do her and Alexander not cuddle? Do they hate each other?"

"Alexander likes to sleep, she does not,"

As quickly as she could, Charlie walked over to the babies and saw Amelie was crying, which immediately upset her too. I helped her sit down and put a pillow down so she could hold her, then they put Amelie in her arms and she went silent.

"She knows it's you,"

"No she doesn't,"

"She does. Do you have a tank top on underneath?"

"Yeah,"

"Take your sweatshirt off so she can feel your skin, and she might even finally get some sleep,"

I took Amelie and waited for her to change, then helped her rest back on Charlie, smiling. It was really good to see them have a bond.

"She is really beautiful,"

"She is. You did that!"

"I love you so much," she said quietly, "You are so brave. I think you should try cuddling your brother more and sleeping, but I will let you sleep on me for a bit right now,"