26

Calum

"What if she says it is all bad?"

"She will not,"

"But what if?" Charlie asked, gripping my hand, "What if... just what if?"

We were sat in the waiting room, and were 5 minutes overdue to go in, which was now making Charlie freak out. People were staring enough without her panicking, so with, she was star of the show. Although, in her panic she didn't even notice.

I was very pleased when we got called in.

"Hi Charlie, it is very nice to meet you. I am Cleo,"

"Hi," she said, her voice wobbling.

"Have a lie down, I think we had better hear those heartbeats ay?"

"Why? Do you think they're gone?"

"No,"

She started crying, so I wrapped my arms round her, gently kissing the top of her head. Immediately, she pulled away from me, then dried her eyes, and hugged my arm again.

"I will sit right next to you,"

"Okay,"

"Have you drank all your water?" Cleo asked.

"Yeah,"

"Awesome! We can get started. I am gonna be your midwife this whole time now, so if you ever have any worries, then I am the one to ask,"

"I have a lot of worries,"

"We can have a chat then, yeah? I have been doing this for twenty years, I have seen it all,"

"We are in very good hands then!" I said, giving Charlie a reassuring smile.

"How long have you been a doctor, Calum?"

"Lost count,"

"Do you think I am an awful human being?"

"Of course not," Cleo said, gently applying the gel, "Do you know the genders?"

"No. I don't wanna know,"

"That's alright,"

"There's no sound,"

"I haven't started yet. I want you to take some deep breaths while I do this,"

"Why? Do they not have enough oxygen,"

"I don't think you are getting enough. Just take some deep breaths, you are in very capable hands,"

She started to cry a little bit again, so I took her hand and gently rubbed it, watching her dry her eyes. She cared about the babies so much.

"Alright. See! That's baby A, and this is baby B. Very strong heartbeats,"

"Okay,"

"And they look like they are growing very nicely. It looks like you are around 7 months now. Sometimes twins can be a bit smaller than non-twin babies, but they are doing great!"

"Okay,"

"They are in a good position,"

"They kick me loads,"

"Just letting you know they're in there!" Cleo smiled, "Would you like a photo to take home?"

"No. Thanks,"

"Okie dokie. I need a urine sample now,"

She got off the bed and went, then brought it back and sat next to me, resting on my side. I wished she wasn't so anxious, but I didn't blame her.