Jaunedice

Night covers Beacon as the outside of the dorms indicate some teams have gone to bed and some are still up one of the awake dorm rooms is Team RWBY and GNDM. In the room we see Weiss is sitting at a desk doing homework Ruby and Yang are playing on their Scrolls while Blake and Y/N are also at a desk with Blake helping Y/N. 

Blake: So you need to write down where the known weak points on Death Stalker are?

Y/N: Alright so we have the soft fleshy underside and the stinger. 

Yang celebrates a victory as Ruby seems to have lost. Yang rolls over to see Y/N and Blake.

Yang: I thought you didn't go to school. How do you know so much about fighting Grimm?

Y/N: I can fight and spot weaknesses well, but my writing and reading aren't the greatest.

Blake: When we were little I used to read to him before we would go to bed.

Yang: Like I would to Ruby.

Ruby: YANG! DON'T MAKE ME SOUND LIKE A LITTLE KID!

Weiss: Yelling just proves the point. 

Weiss doesn't even look up from her own homework before she smirks hoping to one-up the almost illiterate Faunus

Weiss: So Y/N how would an army defeat a Phalanx formation?

Yang: Weiss you don'y have to be me-

Y/N: Flank the formation while also harassing it with light and ranged troops that way they will have to divide their attention or be forced to defend against one or the other. It's simple.

Weiss whips her head around so quickly that her hair slaps her in the face, Ruby just shoots to her hands and knees and almost falls off the bed while Yang just looks dumbfounded, and Blake looks almost cocky. Y/N hasn't even looked up he is still attempting to write the Death Stalker question. Y/N finally looks up after the room has gone silent.

Y/N: What?

Weiss: How were you meant to know that? A Phalanx formation hasn't been used since even before the war!

Y/N: I just know how to break formations.

Yang: Blake what the fuck have you been training Y/N for?

Blake: I have to admit that wasn't me. He learnt all his fighting from an old friend of ours.

Y/N: That reminds me tomorrow's the double split of combat class isn't it?

Ruby is still dumbfounded as she flails her arms and falls to the floor before getting up in a confident pose.

Ruby: Yeah we have combat then lunch then combat again. It's been like six weeks since we started Beacon when are we going to see you fight again Y/N?

Yang pulls up the current standings for combat class on her scrolls for the first years.

Yang: Yeah you haven't fought once. You're the only person who hasn't been placed.

Blake glances at Y/N before he continues. 

Y/N: I will fight when I am approached or forced to fight.

Ruby: But if you don't fight you will be in trouble to pass Mrs Goodwitch's class you need to be ranked doesn't matter where on the board. 

Y/N: We'll just have to see. 

Now in the arena Team RWBY, GNDM and Pyrrha are sitting in the stands watching as Cardin had chosen to fight Jaune. Y/N couldn't be less interested in the fight he is currently looking at his Scroll. He looks at the leaderboard that Yang had been looking at last night. Jaune was dead last at five fights fought and five fights lost all to Cardin and his team. Speaking of Cardin and team CRDL they were middle-of-the-pack fighters none excelled at anything but they all had gotten to Beacon anyway. Y/N looks and confirms he is the only person not ranked.