ㅤㅤ⇆ . 𝐇𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐬 | 𝐔𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝

𝐍𝐚𝐦𝐞: Hades
𝐓𝐢𝐭𝐥𝐞: God of the Underworld, the Dead and Wealth
𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬: Cronus (Time) and Rhea (Fertility)

𝐎𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐢𝐧:
The name Hades means "The Unseen One" - a suitable name since Hades is the ruler of the invisible world. However, this name was often unused, as the Ancient Greeks preferred to call him "Plouton" or "The Wealth Giver".

Hades was the fourth child of the Titans Cronus and Rhea (after Hestia, Demeter, and Hera), both the oldest and the youngest male sibling. In other words, he was the first of the three brothers (Hades, Poseidon, Zeus) to be born and swallowed by his father, but the last one to be regurgitated.

𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐧:
Melinoe (Nightmares), and Macaria (Blessed Death)

𝐒𝐲𝐦𝐛𝐨𝐥𝐬:
Cerberus, keys, cornucopia, sceptre, and cypress

𝐌𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐬:
As Persephone was gathering flowers with her maidens at the Nysian plain, he caused an indescribably beautiful flower to suddenly bloom before her. When Persephone reached out to pluck it, the ground under her opened and Hades appeared before her, all dreadful and majestic in his four-horse golden chariot and took her with him to the Underworld.

Demeter, the goddess of fertility, was so distressed at the absence of her daughter, that she started fasting and wandering aimlessly. Finally, after nine days, Hecate told her what happened. After the All-Seeing Helios confirmed the event, Demeter left Olympus as an act of protest against the injustice done to her.

With her gone, the earth was as barren and infertile as a desert. One year passed, and the gods started worrying that the famine would wipe out humanity. So Zeus sent all the gods, one by one, to beg Demeter to come back, promising her all kinds of gifts and functions. She wanted none; the only thing she wanted was to see her daughter once again.

So, Zeus had no choice but to send Hermes to Hades with the request that he return Persephone to Demeter. He complied, but only after making Persephone eat one pomegranate seed before leaving. This ensured that she would remain bound to his kingdom eternally.