~Chapter 2~

"Mio marito! Mia figlia! Non posso vivere cosi!" (My husband! My daughter! I can't live like this!) Giuseppa wailed through sobs. She was pacing back and forth from her main bedroom to her daughters, hoping and praying Angela's life would be spared. "TI ODIO DIO! TI ODIO!" (I HATE YOU GOD! I HATE YOU!) Her wailing becoming intense high pitched screams.

"MAMMA!" Salvatore screamed over her as he watched her throw herself back onto her marital bed. Her body lay over the top of her husbands, his father, blood seeping through him and onto her nightgown.

She had woken up groggy and with a severe headache this morning. As she stretched out to wake herself up, glancing over at what she thought was her sleeping husband, she instantly began to scream.
His side of the bed was covered in deep red blood.

Her sons and son-in-law, Matteo had come running through the halls, almost knocking her bedroom door off its hinges in the process.
But they were too late. Domenico Abandonato had been dead and bleeding out for hours.

It wasn't until Matteo had realised that Angela had made no attempt to get up out of bed that he knew something else was wrong. He could clearly hear his daughter crying and his wife was not going to her aid.

"Mamma, ti prego," (mother I beg of you) Salvatore had his hands around his mothers waist, gently attempting to pull her off his father. Francesco by his side assisting anyway they could for their distraught mother.

"NON MI TOCCATE!" (DON'T TOUCH ME!) She gripped onto her husband tighter refusing to let him be this time. "Gesù!" She sobbed, "Gesù ti prego!" (Jesus! Jesus I beg of you) She buried her head into her dead husband's chest. Her sons desperate to remove her. This wasn't good for her, it wasn't good for any of them.

Salvatore took a final firm grip on his mother, this time forcefully hoisting her up and off the bed kicking and screaming. Francesco attempted to calm and hold her arms before she injured her oldest son while protesting.
As they struggled to control her, Marco walked in with their family Dr, Dr. Lorenzo Di Savia.

Dr Lorenzo Di Savia had always been there for the family when the hospitals could not. Which actually ended up being most of the time.
He was paid exclusively by the Abandonato family, paid a very high sum enabling him to be available at the drop of a hat. No matter where he was, no matter what time, the Abandonato family would arrange his transport.

"Lorenzo..." Giuseppa sighed the moment she saw him, she felt her sons grips loosen on her as she took a step forward then lunged into an embrace with him. "Mio marito," (my husband) she sobbed into him as Lorenzo placed his bag on the ground then using his free hand to caress her head gently.

"I know Josephine, I know..."

Their reunion was short lived as Salvatore reluctantly began to acknowledge him. He had no idea what to do, what to say, how to react. All he knew was that this was the beginning of his family being torn apart by an enemy they had not seen coming.
"Doctor. My sister, she won't wake up." His words coming out shaky, something he had never experienced before. He turned to Francesco who was now showing evidence of crying. His eyes red and puffy as he silently mourned their father's death. "Stay with her," he instructed referring to their mother who began to sob once more as Francesco held her close, Marco sitting on the chair in the corner of the room with his head in his hands.

_______________✏

Salvatore led Dr. Lorenzo Di Savia into the room where his sister, brother-in-law and niece slept that night.
As they entered, Matteo was kneeling on the ground beside his wife, leaning over the bed with one of her small hands between his own. Little Lucia's cries being ignored as she screamed hungrily into the air.