Chapter 1: An Obvious Choice

The sun shone brightly through a pair of windows into a small room containing only a bed, dresser, bookshelf, and closet. The bed was messy with dark green camo sheets partially falling onto the floor. A girl was standing by the closet looking in it for something. She was wearing a dark green and grey hoodie partially zipped over a white shirt, and blue jeans. She pulled out a bandana that was about the same dark sea foam green as her shoes and put it on over chestnut brown hair.

"Riley!" A voice called from downstairs. "Hurry. Its almost time to meet the Professor at her lab!" The girl, Riley, quickly pulled out a pair of fingerless black and grey gloves and slid them on, pulling them down at the fingers. She ran to the dresser and and grabbed a dark brown bag which was already packed full.

"Coming!" Riley yelled down the stairs. She grabbed a brochure from the dresser and quickly rushed down. She turned to see her mother standing in the kitchen with a spatula in one hand and an apron on over a pale blue dress.

"Hey, Mom." Riley's mother smiled at her. Her hair was a lighter caramel brown compared to Riley's and was pulled up into a tight bun at the top of her head. Riley's eyes scanned the kitchen and fell on a stack of steaming golden brown pancakes, already drowned in glossy syrup and enveloped in whipped cream. Riley eyed the pancakes and licked her lips.

Her mother laughed. "Go ahead." She said. "Its a special day isn't it. I thought you deserved something special to start you off." Riley's mom smiled at her as she headed over to the plate, pulled up a chair, grabbed a fork, and devoured the pancakes. She took the brochure out of Riley's hand and stared at it. "So, which starter Pokemon are you going to choose?" Riley stopped eating for a second and thought, syrup dribbling down her chin.

She swallowed. "I haven't really thought about that much, yet." Her mother raised her eyebrows slightly and Riley went back to eating. "I mean each one of them would probably be great, but I want one that keeps trying and enjoys battling with me." She said in between bites. Riley's mother reached into her pocket and pulled out something.

"Riley." She said very seriously. "I have something for you." She placed the object she had pulled out of her pocket onto the table. It was a chestnut brown belt with small pockets, 6 of them, sewn on the side. "This was mine when I was a trainer." She said and pushed it towards Riley. "I hope it will bring you the good luck it brought me." Riley stopped eating and put her fork down. She slowly reached out and picked up the belt from the table. Riley got off the chair and slid it through the loops in her jeans.

"Tada!" She said and spun around once it was adjusted properly. Her mother smiled.

"It looks wonderful!" She said as Riley spun around again. "But remember." She said suddenly serious. "Only use this when you are battling otherwise people could take your Pokemon from you." Riley suddenly stopped spinning and stiffened.

"But that would never happen, Mom. People don't steal other people's Pokemon!" Her mother smiled sadly.

"You'd be surprised." She whispered.

"Well, I have to go, Mom. Bye!" Riley grabbed the brochure and ran out the door. She ran along the dirt road and passed by a small wooden sign that had the words Nuvema Town written on it.

Finally, she arrived at Professor Juniper's lab. Riley ran to the door, opened it , and went inside. She stepped into an expansive room with chairs and couches spread throughout it. A man wearing glasses and a lab coat walked in through a door at the back of the room. Riley ran up to him and immediately asked him where Professor Juniper was.

"She'll be with you in a minute. Just wait here." He sent her to a couch next to a table with a vase of flowers and went back through the small door. Riley sat down and looked at the brochure. On it were the three starters, but she wasn't even thinking about them. I wonder where the Professor was that it was so important that she had to postpone my Pokemon journey. Was it the Plasma scare? She thought. I know this is the best place to go to start my journey, but if had known it would have taken years for her to come back and send me on my journey I would have gone somewhere else. I don't get it. I shouldn't have to wait until I'm 13 to become a Pokemon trainer. Her mind wandered.