Chapter 11: The Strange Feeling of Defeat

The mayhem finally quieted down after Team Plasma fled and Tomas and Riley had agreed to travel together once again. Tomas had been introduced to Sophie and Burgh and Riley to Leon. After staying the night at the Pokecenter to rest up, The five: Leon, Riley, Tomas, Burgh, and Sophie, had gone over to Burgh’s gym. A Pokemon battle was expected and Riley couldn’t wait to get her third gym badge.

The Castelia City gym was enormous. Riley gasped as did Tomas, even the size of everything else in the city hadn’t prepared them for this. Burgh’s artwork lined the walls and harlequins twirled around waiting for challengers. Gigantic sculptures of Scolipedes, Crustle, and other bug types were everywhere. Trees leaned over a long dirt Pokemon stadium, but the battling field was completely flat, bare of any rocks or obstacles.

“ This is your gym?” Riley asked, though it wasn’t much of a question. Burgh didn’t reply.

Sophie whispered in Riley’s ear, “ It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” She pointed to the paintings hanging on the walls on all sides of the stadium. They were all of bug Pokemon, but each one was unique because of the different splashes of color that decorated them. Every painting had a set color scheme. Riley nodded and Burgh walked over to the other side of the battle field and she went to her side. She watched Tomas, Leon, and Sophie retreat to the sides of the stadium. He tossed his scarlet scarf over his shoulder and a man, who looked almost identical to the referee at the two other gyms, stepped onto the middle of the field. 

He said the usual spiel so Riley completely ignored it and the referee ended. Riley looked at Burgh and smiled. She would be going first. Gotta keep that in mind.The order of who attacks when can make a huge difference. “ May the battle commence!” The referee shouted and in a flash of white both of the battler’s Pokemon were out on the field and ready to go. It was Swadloon versus Dewott.

“ Razor Shell, Dewott!” Riley called out and the battle begun. Her Pokemon was automatically on the move. She removed her scalchop and ran toward Swadloon. The leaf-wrapped Pokemon stayed still and kept his eye on Burgh. Dewott was getting close.

Suddenly, Burgh cried out, “ Swadloon use String Shot!” The green Pokemon spat out a long string of sticky white web. It hit Dewott’s chest and wrapped around her, gluing the water type’s arm down by her side. The scalchop fell out of her paw and Dewott struggled to get out. “ Now, use Razor Leaf.” The two leaves on the green Pokemon’s head glowed and sharp leaves fired from them at Dewott.

“ No!” Riley cried from the other side of the stadium. “ Dewott, try and duck and pick up your scalchop to cut the string!” The otter Pokemon did as told, but several sharp leaves still hit her, she was pushed back, and the wrapping became frayed slightly. Dewott jumped from foot to foot trying to cut the thick string and dodge at the same time. Finally, the attack stopped and Dewott broke out, but Dewott was much slower and Riley wasn’t off to a good start. The grass type move had been super effective on her water type.

“ Quick Attack, now, Dewott!” Riley shouted and Pokemon started running at full speed while the white tail of energy trailed behind. Swadloon shambled to the side, but the clumsy Pokemon wasn’t fast enough. Dewott tackled the Pokemon.

Burgh quickly called to Swadloon, “Struggle Bug!” Swadloon became briefly surrounded by red light and Dewott attacked again. The red aura came back and then the energy burst out of its body, blocking the attack. Swadloon then attacked the opponent through a series of flailing motions. Dewott was bruised and knocked back.

“ Use Aqua Jet!” Riley yelled. Water suddenly surrounded Dewott and the Pokemon burst forward like a cannonball of raging water.

“ Swadloon, use Razor Leaf again!” Dewott unsurely glanced at Riley while speeding through the air to strike the green Pokemon. Riley returned the look with a firm gaze that said The water’s going too fast. The attack will never get through. Sharp leaves flew through the air and sliced through Dewott’s Aqua Jet and cut at her. She tumbled through the air and to the ground. Riley’s eyes grew wide. She honestly hadn’t thought that would work.