Chapter 7: Lenora, an Archeologist with a Backbone

He dragged them through the doors of the Nacrene City Museum and to a display in the back. “ You see this!” He said speaking quickly and nervously. “ See, here!” The man pointed to the assembled skeleton of a Dragonite. He was pointing to one of the bones. No, where one of the bones should be. “ Missing!” He squeaked. “ My wife, Lenora, noticed this just today. I know you’ve had an eventful couple of days, but could you please find it for us! This is a major part of the display and seeing as how you were able to find we thought you could find this for us! Please!” He whined.

Riley could hardly digest it all. He’s her husband. Odd pair. She shook her head in an effort to clear it. “ You want me--- to find---- a bone.” Riley pronounced slowly.

He nodded his head. “ Not just any bone. This bone is probably the most important to our skeleton, the lower jaw.” The skinny man continued forcefully pointing to the empty spot.

“ And where would this bone be?” Tomas said from behind, tired of being ignored.

“ Lenora had it in the library in the back where she was dusting it. She put it down help me with the armor display and when she went back it was gone! She said she thought she saw something run away with it, but she doesn’t know who, or what, it was. Can you find it for us?” He pleaded.

The man’s constant begging and whining was getting on Riley’s nerves and becoming quite pathetic. “ I-I think so.” She muttered. Tomas elbowed her. “ I-I mean, of course. Right away!” They left the skinny man at the display and headed into the library at the back.

“ Did that seem a bit weird to you?” Tomas asked her quietly.

“ I guess it’s a little weird being asked for help by a museum curator. I mean, I don’t know the first thing about tracking. I just found the helicopter by luck and wouldn’t have gotten to Team Plasma if it weren’t for Lenora.” She responded.

“ No. It’s not that.” With that the conversation ended. The looked around the library and saw that it was massive, bigger than 20 Pokemon stadium, and had books stacked on every shelf. Letters stuck out of the shelves so the countless stories could stay in some sort of order. Trainers leaned against shelves with books in their hands laughing, crying, or intently staring at what was written.

“ This place is so big. How will we ever find that bone?” Riley murmured.

“ Ask around.”

Riley looked at Tomas with a dry expression. “ That was a rhetorical question.” They walked up to one of the people reading at the shelves. “ Excuse me, did you happen to see someone take a Dragonite’s lower jaw bone? Sorry, that sounded weird. Have you seen anyone with a fossil?” The kid, a young boy with wireframe glasses and a serious expression didn’t look at them. He just grabbed the top book of his pile and handed it to Riley without even glancing up. She took the book and inspected its sides. The title was Battles: A Philosophy and the ‘B’ was especially large. Riley looked at the book puzzled and Tomas inspected it as well. “ What is this? Why’d you give me this book?” Riley questioned the boy, raising her voice. He turned and put his finger to his lips, annoyed.

“ Riley,” he said and she turned around. “ Look at this.” He held the book out to her and she glanced at it noticing what he had on the first page. There was a note on it. In scrawling handwriting it read, It’s, and only that.

“ What’s that supposed to mean?” Riley asked quietly. Tomas’s eyes flickered up to her and she got a thousand words out of that look. “ Oh, you think this is a clue? Wait,” She looked at him. “ You think this a clue? From whom, the thief! What kind of messed-up burgular would leave clues?” Tomas shrugged and for the first time they noticed something. The boy, the one they had just talked to, was pointing. Pointing to another reader. They walked to the reader and asked, once again, “ Have you seen someone with a Dragonite fossil?” The reader took a book from the shelf behind them and handed it to Riley, A Guide to Catching Wild Pokemon. Then, she pointed to the right, to another reader. Riley and Tomas went to them and they were led to another reader and another and then the reader didn’t point, didn’t tell them where to go, so the two sat all the books down at a table and began flipping through them. 4 more notes were found in the 4 books. Tomas and Riley put them out on the table and took it in. It’s in the back right read the cards when arrange properly.