Chapter 27: Hold On

“ The troops are just a decoy for the real attack! Look!!” Riley’s hand jabbed at the rising airship. The trainer’s words yanked them back into reality and  time started again.

“ They’ll never stand a chance.” Elesa breathed and looked fearfully from the marching Team Plasma members to the people and Pokemon, some running away, others standing their ground, and most trying to look brave.

“ We’ve gotta go down there and help them!” Sophie called out, grabbing onto Leon’s arm. He didn’t notice.

“ Hold on.” The ache in Tomas’s head faded and he pushed himself up off the ledge, one hand to his forehand. His raised hand dropped and he looked at the trainers around him, almost condescendingly. “ Grunts are streaming out of the mist, surrounding those trainers, and yes that’s important, but you’re more concerned about that than the fact that Ghetsis is getting away. Who knows what he’s planning and you’re just going to ignore it?” He didn’t say this angrily, but in disbelief.

“ I’m going to go after them.” Riley stepped forward. A smile tugged at Tomas’s lips, he’d expected her to say something like this.

“ Then we’ll go too.” Skyla grinned, putting her hands on her hips. “ We’ll ride over on my Pokemon.” The gym leader took out four Pokeballs. 

The painting and visions Sage Rood had had came into the brown-haired trainers mind. “ No.” She said and looked at the Mistralton City gym leader. “ No, I don’t want you guys getting hurt. Plus, it won’t take a while. I’ll just stop Ghetsis and go, right.” She gave them a steady smile, but knew it wouldn’t be anywhere near that simple.

“ No!” Sophie protested. “ We’re not letting you go on your own! It’s stupid to think---”

“ Stop.” Riley interrupted. “ They’re getting away already. You guys better go help out the trainers. Team Plasma may not be strong, but we’re going to need more trainers than that to have even a slim chance at beating them.” The brown-haired trainer turned towards the Pokemon League and stood on the edge of the cliff. Behind her, her friends argued about the best plan of action and how to convince her not to go. Sophie tugged on the trainer’s jacket, trying to get her attention and sway her decision. Riley ignored them, dulling out their voices and staring off at the airship and trying to think of a way of getting on.

Champion. A smooth voice flowed into Riley’s head and the trainer’s eyes widened slightly in recognition. She turned her head slowly and looked to where the woods met the edge of the cliff and and trees hung determinedly to the rocky sides. Riley saw a figure stepping through, completely soundless. Its head was dipped as it strode out so Riley couldn’t see its face, but the light highlighted the green covering its body. It had a tan underside and face and long graceful legs. It is good to see you again.

Virizion. Riley mouthed the Pokemon’s name and walked toward her. The legendary sighed and turned her gaze to the ground. It has been a long time since we have seen each other. I recall you saving me from Team Plasma in Pinwheel Forest  last time I saw you. Virizion chuckled and looked directly at Riley. And I remember wishing to bring down this evil organization. She gestured toward the surging grunts and generals. That is beside the point, though. I am here with the same goal as you. Allow me to assist in Team Plasma’s downfall.

“ Virizion,” Riley said beaming, “ Let’s go.” 

The legendary Pokemon nodded. Hop on my back. Riley slung her leg over Virizion’s side and trotted over to the cliff’s edge. Tomas turned away from the argument and saw her about to leave.

“ Wait!” He called out, hand outstretched. The raven-haired trainer began running to her. “ Riley, you can’t go alone!”

“ Virizion, are you ready?” The brown-haired trainer said to the Pokemon she was on.