Chapter 23: Stars

A/N Thank you guys SO much for all the support you have given me! It's absolutely overwhelming and I just can't thank you enough! Well, here's chapter 23. I hope you guys enjoy and make sure you VOTE and comment, please! The feedback really helps. Alright, hope you enjoy! :D

THIS CHAPTER IS CURRENTLY UNEDITED

<><><><><><><><><><><><> 

The crowd exploded. Their cheers were almost deafening as they stomped on the ground and clapped. Riley reddened a little and waved to them. “ Woooooohoo!” Sophie   shouted, fist-pumping. Espeon flicked her tail and looked at the ground modestly.

When the roaring showed no sign of stopping, Skyla put a finger to her lips. All attention turned to the gym leader and she quieted the crowd with a single gesture. She took something out of a pocket in her shorts and clutched it in her hand. The gym leader walked across the field and placed it in Riley’s palm. “ The Jet Badge,” Skyla said as her opponent looked down. “ It’s proof that you beat me.” Riley smiled and clicked the blue feather-shaped metal piece in her badge case. “ I don’t think I’ll forget this battle any time soon.” Skyla grinned and walked over to Espeon. “ And you,” She said ruffling the psychic type’s fur, “ I was impressed! I’ve never seen a Pokemon do anything like that before!”

As the gym leader talked the group of people that had been watching began to walk down the stairs and disperse. Sophie hopped down the stairs. “ Woot!” She yelled and skipped over to Riley. “ 6th gym badge!” The breeder held up the number on her hands and jumped up and down. “ Riley, you’re so close to being able to challenge the Elite Four!”

The trainer nodded, not really paying attention and looked across the gym to the upper level. “ Have you seen Tomas?”

Sophie pursed her lips, thinking for a second. “ Nope. Haven’t seen him since we were at the Pokecenter.”

The floor creaked and  Riley, Skyla, and Sophie turned their heads to the floor opposite where the breeder had come down. Tomas strode silently down the steps and stood in front of them. “ I’m right here.”

“ Did you see the battle!” Sophie asked excitedly. “ Riley won and Eevee--”

“ I saw.” The raven-haired trainer cut her off. 

“ Oh,” Sophie stopped, deflated.

Skyla looked from Tomas to Riley to Sophie with raised eyebrows. She broke the uncomfortable silence with, “ I’m... Gonna go attend to some gym leader duties... Um... You know, training my Pokemon and what not.” The gym leader came forward and held up a hand.

Riley grinned and took a big step toward her on her crutches. Leaning slightly on her strong foot, she high-fived Skyla. “ Hope to see you again sometime!” The trainer gave her a toothy grin and her friend returned it.

“ Well, I’ve gotta jet.” She said pointing behind her. “ Good luck getting your other gym badges.” The Mistralton City Gym Leader dashed off with a quick wave.

“ To Icirrus City, then.” Riley sighed and looked to her friends. They nodded and a slight smile touched Tomas’s lips.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After picking up everything they had at the Pokecenter, healing their Pokemon, and putting more berry paste on Riley’s leg the group of three set out on Route 7. It was afternoon  and they were trekking through the tall grass. It was finer than the grass on most routes and swished as they walked through. Foongus skittered away from their feet and Deerling with pink coats bounded off into the woods and watched from there.