Chapter 29: A Flurry of Wind and Sand

A gale from the gaping hole in the wall buffeted Riley, knocking her down as the massive legendary crashed into the wall behind her. The trainer scrambled to get up, wind now tugging at her, trying to suck her out and throw her into the empty sky. She pulled herself across the sleek walls to the door while Landorus shook off shattered glass and wood from the now broken containers and crates. 

The Harvest Pokemon howled. Harsh noise and sand particles battered Riley as she grabbed the door handle. Her feet were swept out from under her and she pressed down on the handle. A gust pushed her forward and Riley toppled through the door, slamming it  and slapping down the lock from her fallen position. 

Alarms blared, warning passengers that the dirigible was losing altitude and serious damage had been done to the hull. Riley looked up and Sand stood at the end of the hallway. Their eyes met for a moment before the Team Plasma grunt’s gazed dropped shamefully and she dashed away.

The trainer hesitated for a moment before pushing herself onto her feet. She pushed off the metal floor with her right foot and clumsily began sprinting. Red lights started flashing and the monotone PA voice repeated, “Evacuate! Evacuate!” in a numbingly loud voice. Riley continued dashing, nearing the end of the hallway. 

A boulder smashed through the locked door behind her and Landorus wrenched its way through the crack in the steel wall. The trainer’s breaths became short and sharp and she pulled herself into the adjoining hallway. A blast of sand-filled wind roared through the hallway she had just been in and Riley squeezed her eyes shut. The trainer took in a sharp breath and turned to see the hall.

The legendary loomed a matter of feet away.

The brown-haired trainer swerved into the hallway confronting the leader of the Forces of Nature. “ Landorus, I understand why you’re angry! You think I set Thundurus and Tornadus loose to wreak havoc, but that was Team Plasma’s plan! They were the ones who caught them. I didn’t know you were coming to get them. I was only trying to get them out of danger’s w--!” A blast of white energy shot from Landorus’s palm and threw Riley across the room into the wall. She slammed into it, the wind knocked out of her, and slid down.

Landorus’s eyes glowed red with rage. He would hear none of what the trainer would say, his mind set on punishing the releaser of the destructive Forces of Nature. 

“ Thundurus and Tornadus are getting awa--” A rush of sand pelted Riley as she brought  her hands up to protect her eyes. The buffeting stopped and Landorus spread its arms, roaring furiously. His white fist curled up and sharp claws slid out. 

-------------------------------------- 

Robert Crown leaned against his son’s shoulder and Fraxure supported the other side while Leon rushed through the halls, Sawk alongside him. Red lights flashed overhead, “ Evacuate! Evacuate! Backup engines failing. Evacuate!” The fighting type trainer cringed at each blaring word. “ Sawk, use Karate Chop.” The Pokemon’s hand swung in a wide arc and smashed the light, glass falling to the floor and the sound of that system shutting off. The Karate Pokemon shook debris off his hand and crossed his arms. " Thanks."

 The sound of rushing feet echoed through the halls and Leon looked around. “ Hey,” He motioned toward the left side of the split in the hallway. The trainer looked around the bend as the group of three behind him hobbled forward.

Ahead, racing down the adjoining hallway at the end of the hall, were a swarm of Plasma grunts scraping to abandon the ship. An officer yelled at them to go faster, pushing stragglers forward.

“ Stop.” Leon hissed and motioned toward the runners.

“ They must be coming from the control room. That’s where Riley would be.” The raven-haired trainer stated while readjusting his arm over his father’s shoulder.