Chapter 16: Queen of Thieves

They all just stood there, stunned and speechless. Thoughts raced through Riley’s head, but there was only one possibility, the one her mind kept going back to. “ Team Plasma.” She growled.

“ No, no. That’s impossible! Team Plasma was disbanded over a year ago.” Nikola said firmly. “ That can’t be true...” The brown haired trainer shook her head gravely. Elesa’s friend gulped. “ Well, anyways, I---I don’t really know what happened,” Nikola muttered, still stumbling over her words, “ But I’ll tell you everything I do know, Elesa.”

“ Please, Nikola.” The gym leader’s voice had changed. It lost its challenging and cheerful tone and was filled with anger and the tiniest hint of sadness.

“ I was on Route 5,” the chic woman began telling her story slowly, “ with Emolga. He was floating on the breeze and picking berries. We were having fun like always.” Nikola turned to Riley, Tomas, and Sophie. “ You see, I watch Elesa’s male Emolga whenever she’s at the gym and when I’m not modeling because he doesn’t like battling.” She then turned back to Elesa. “ And then this beam of red light shot from the sky and I saw a Braviary fly overhead. Emolga dropped to the ground, frozen, and before I knew it your Pokemon was in this glass cage and taken away by the Braviary. The flying type Pokemon flew into a dark grey air ship with Emolga and the ship just disappeared into thin air.” Nikola looked at her friend with tears welling up in her eyes. “ I’m so, so sorry!” The model cried. “ It all happened so fast.”

Elesa hugged her friend and told her to calm down, that she would get back her Pokemon, and that there was no need to worry. Riley clenched her fist, getting angrier and angrier at Team Plasma with each sad sniffle from Nikola. Her face grew red and she ran down the runway and out the door. 

She burst through the doors and dashed to one of the benches at the far side of the park. Riley put her head in her hands. They never stop ruining Pokemon and people’s lives, do they?! The brown haired trainer wanted to yell. She took a deep breath and tried to slow her racing heart.

“ Riley!” Sophie shouted as she ran out of the Nimbasa City Gym to her friend. Riley looked up. She noticed now that her fingers were shaking. “ Riley, what’s going on? Why’d you run out?” 

Tomas came sauntering out of the gym, taking his own sweet time and Riley smiled. Typical. She lowered her hands and put them on her lap. “ Team Plasma... They’ve dropped a bomb on a day care center, terrorized a legendary Pokemon, and stolen Tomas’s Pokemon within a couple weeks. And that’s all I know about!” Riley burst out sharply. “ Imagine what they were like when the Hero had to face them...” Her voice trailed off and Sophie shuddered at the thought. “ I am not letting them get away again!”

Suddenly, Tomas, Riley, and Sophie looked up. Elesa dashed out of the gym and ran to Riley. The gym leader was holding something in her hand. “ Here.” She shoved the Bolt Badge into Riley’s palm. “ By beating me you’ve earned it, Green Girl. I wish you the best of luck and hope you continue challenge gyms with that sweet battling style of yours. I have to go get Emolga back, but I hope to see you all again sometime!” The gym leader waved goodbye and began running towards the amusement park’s exit.

“ Elesa, wait!” Riley yelled and the Nimbasa City gym leader spun around. “ I want to help you.” The brown haired trainer strode over to Elesa and Tomas and Sophie walked behind her, exchanging glances.

“ I appreciate your enthusiasm, Green, but I don’t want you or any of your wonderful friends to get hurt. I hate to be no fun, but it’s simply too dangerous!” Elesa said maturely.

“ Elesa, I’m going with you.” Riley countered resolutely.

The gym leader sighed. “ Okay, Green. Since you’re so insistent I will let you come, but, please, try not to get hurt. I don’t want to see that shining heart of yours wounded.”