Chapter 5: Bearers of the Black and White Shield (Part 1)

Riley and Tomas had been walking on Route 3 when they spotted a small cabin in the distance right before a turn in the path. As they neared it the letters on a sign outside the front of the house became more clear. Pokemon Day Care Center it read. A large field with a freshly painted fence was behind the house. Pokemon were playing in the ponds and people could be heard talking.

“ I’ve only ever heard of these briefly. I don’t know much about ‘em except that they can be really useful to trainers. You know anything about Pokemon Day Care Centers?” Riley said to Tomas.

“ No.” He replied simply. “ Only as much as you do.” They walked up to the the old wooden door and Riley brought her hand to the door to knock. Knock. Knock.  Nothing. 

“ Hello?” She called out. They heard the faint drone of an aircraft but nothing else.  “Hello?!” Riley grabbed the door handle, about to turn it.

Boom! 

Riley and Tomas were thrown backwards and to the ground and onto the stone steps. Groaning and aching all over, they got up slowly. Tomas was bruised badly and had hit his back against the steps full force. He was breathing deeply as he struggled to get up, trying to regain the wind just knocked out of him. Riley’s head and part of her back had fortunately gotten cushioned on one of the bushes on the side of the path, but her feet had smacked down hard on the stone. She stood first and reached to her face, noticing the small cuts made by the bush’s branches. She turned and reached her hand out to Tomas who immediately grabbed it.

“ Thank you.” He gasped, still trying to get his breath back.

“ You alright?” Riley asked and Tomas nodded. “ What was that?” She began searching the cabin for any sign of what had just happened. Her eyes widened in shock and fear. “ Tomas,” Her voice came out as a frightened squeak and she cleared her throat, “ We need to see if anyone’s hurt.” Her voice had steadied, she flung the door open, and rushed inside, leaving Tomas behind.

The windows had been blown in and glass littered the floor, shimmering like deadly jewels. Couches were pushed back and filing cabinets had toppled over and spewed their contents on the floor. Luckily, the house had blocked most of the blast and Riley and Tomas hadn’t been too badly injured. Smoke began to cloud in from an open door in the back. Riley put a hand to her mouth. “ Oh no...”

Tomas appeared behind her, still fighting for breath, but now clutching his back.  “ Do you know... what happened... here?” 

Riley turned on him angrily. “ People could be dead! You’re probably seriously injured and the first thing you ask is what happened?!?” Tomas stared at her. “ Know what, now’s not the time for arguing. Come on, quick! We have to help.” She walked over to Tomas, slightly limping, and put his arm around her neck. They didn’t see anyone in the cabin and headed out the door in the back.

Tomas and Riley froze. Both were speechless. It was a bomb that went off. It must have been. Smoke billowed up half a mile away and fire was beginning to spread through the vast field in the back of the day care. The two trainers ran as fast as they could until they were as close to the site of the explosion as thry could be without choking on black smoke. They looked around. Some Pokemon were hiding in  a pond to the side and others had retreated as far away as they could from the site. They must have seen it coming. Fences were had been blown down and some of the Pokemon were running over them to the forest.

They heard a groan from their back right and turned to it. “ Help.... Please, can anyone help?” Again, Riley took Tomas and supported him as they walked over to the voice. It was a woman in her thirties. There were ten other people around her, all of them were conscious. Riley ran to the others and helped them up. First a young girl, then her two brothers, a couple, 3 teenagers, and an old man. Riley looked back and saw that Tomas had helped up four others, but was moaning and holding his back. He was trying to help the woman up now. She seemed to be the most injured.