Chapter 8: Breaking and Mending

A gigantic stone and cable suspension bridge started just feet away from where Tomas and Riley were standing. It had a green tint to it and crossed over a large expanse of water. Some people called it “the gateway of the Unova region” and for Tomas and Riley it was just that, a gateway into a new league of Pokemon trainers.

“ Skyarrow bridge, the biggest, longest bridge in Unova and our only way into Castelia City on foot.” Tomas stated, slightly exasperated.

“ That doesn’t sound rehearsed.” Riley said sarcastically to him as they looked out at the giant suspension bridge they would soon be crossing. Quickly, in her mind, she reviewed the events of the past few days. I helped bomb victims, chased Team Plasma, caught some of them, met Virizion, caught Mienfoo, got an egg, found Lenora’s stadium, battled against her and... What else? Something’s missing... She looked over to Tomas. “ I feel like there was something I was supposed to do. Something at the gym.”

Tomas turned to her. “ At the gym?” He was quiet for a moment, considering this. “ At the gym!” He suddenly shouted. “ I never went back. I never battled Lenora. You did, but not me!” His voice was tight and stressed, with the tiniest hint of anger.

Even though it was tiny, Riley heard it. “ Wait, are you blaming me? Is this my fault now?!”

Tomas looked taken aback. “ No. Riley, I didn’t mean it like that... I was just angry at myself for not remembering.”

“ No. It’s different isn’t it?” Riley’s voice was quiet now and had a hint of hurt. “ Maybe you don’t think it means anything, but that and getting so mad at me when I was going to Pinwheel Forest and when I came back... It’s obvious you’ve wanted to leave ever since we met. Tomas, I don’t want to be angry with you so just go. Go without me. Ok?” It wasn’t a question. Riley had really given Tomas no choice, but, to her, Tomas had just been mean the entire journey.

Riley expected him to argue with her, to say that he was sorry and would stay but Tomas only said, “ Ok,” and walked away, back to Nacrene City. Riley was speechless. Tomas, you’re supposed to come back. You’re supposed to turn around and apologize. You can’t leave! But she had asked him to go and now there would be no coming back. Wouldn’t there? She turned on her heel and walked through the tunnel, angry at herself for pushing Tomas away, but selfishly blaming it on him. She walked up the steps that led to the bridge and then began walking across Skyarrow. Buses and cars rumbled below her for a while until Riley began walking over the ocean. She stopped in the middle of the bridge and pulled out her Xtransceiver, feeling guilty. She dialed Tomas’s number and let it ring. 

“ This is Tomas’s Xtransceiver. If you need to talk to me leave your name and number after the tone, please.” The thing buzzed blandly. Riley gripped it tightly in her hands so she wouldn’t throw it. She took a deep breath and her hand relaxed and she dropped the Xtransceiver in her bag.

“ Angry with someone?” Riley nearly jumped out of her skin. She couldn’t immediately place the voice and looked around. “ It’s not good to be angry, but if you are it’s best to get those feelings out.” Riley found the voice. It belonged to a girl with lavender hair in braided pigtails who was casually and happily leaning against the rail of the bridge. She walked over to Riley and held out her hand. “ I’m Sophie and whenever I get angry I remember.....” The girl took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a moment. Then, she opened them again and looked at Riley. “ Zen!” She said cheerfully and then added. “ It helps me when I’m mad.” Riley stared at her questioningly and then looked her up and down. White shirt, grey skirt, purple scarf and hair, grey and purple boots, an aqua and purple vest, and dark tan skin. Sophie seemed nice, if not a little unusual in the friend department. “ I’m a Pokemon breeder and I live in Castelia City. I’m eleven and I like purple and making friends. What about you?”