Chapter 28: Endgame

SLAM! “ Tomas!” SLAM! “ Tomas!” Leon grabbed the raven-haired trainer’s jacket and pulled him around forcefully. “ Stop! You’re not getting anywhere with this and you’re obviously not thinking straight.” He motioned towards the welded door that Tomas had been slamming his should into moments before. “ You’re going to hurt yourself and you’re obviously not remembering that us and our Pokemon could take the door down.” Tomas reached into his pocket to take out his Pokeballs, but Leon grabbed his wrist and stopped him, uncharacteristically angry. “ But look around. I know we don’t have much time, but where are we?”

The trainer looked at the expansive room, trying to figure out what it was used for. The back of the room was divided into partitioned-off areas about 20 by 20 feet and a giant flame blazed up in an unsteady stream in each. Hot area billowed up into gigantic gas bags that seemed to be used for keeping the airship afloat. And then Tomas felt the blistering heat and pain in his shoulder. His ears rang when the noise of the fire intensified and blocked out all other sound, save a few muffled grunts.

“ Embrooooar!” The bellow made Tomas’ eyes widen and he skipped a breath.

“ They’re using Pokemon...” His voice wisped sadly. The realization fully hit him and the pity was joined by disgust. Leon and Tomas exchanged a look and dashed forward, sending out Venipede and Sawk.

“ Sawk, Karate Chop!” “Venipede, Rollout!” The fighting type slammed his hand into the metal door and dented it, flying back a little in the recoil, and Leon rammed into the door. Venipede whirred and took off, knocking the door in substantially. The trainers worked at opposite compartments and Tomas struck the door. Venipede rolled forward once more and the door came down. As it did, Tomas rushed forward, an arm on his forehead, and he squinted in the heat to see the Pokemon in front of him. A Heatmor, Fraxure, Emboar, Druddigon, and other Pokemon spat fire towards the bottom of the gas bags using Incinerate, Flamethrower and other fire type moves.  They’re eyes moved to the trainer and his bug type and became unsure. None of the Pokemon moved, uncertain of what Tomas was here to do. The raven-haired trainer breathed in and spoke. “ Follow us. We can get you out of here.” None moved. They weren’t able to,  steel cuffs completely covered their feet and join with the floor. Any hands were encased as well. A red light withdrew Venipede and Pignite appeared in front of Tomas.

“ Put your hands together and smash the cuffs open!” Pignite grunted and brought his joined hands down on the steel encasing it open slightly and ripping it off the Pokemon’s hand and feet. He threw the scraps of metal to the side and Tomas herded them out the room where the Pokemon Leon and Sawk had helped waited.

Leon, Tomas, and their Pokemon moved onto the next compartments and continued working. The airship shuddered and sunk in the air as the flames that had been fueled by the Pokemon disappeared. An alarm wailed and a robotic voice came over the speakers announcing, “ Power systems failing. Emergency backup engines installed.” Fire flew up from the mechanisms and Tomas heaved a sigh as the airship began ascending again.

Leon looked up at Tomas gravely. “ They’re using Pokemon as a cheap means of energy. That’s just wrong.” Tomas said nothing and turned back towards the door where a mass of Pokemon was lined up.

A Fraxure studied the two trainers for a brief moment and turned to the door. He roared to the Pokemon around him and at the same time the opened their mouths and briefed out a blaze of fire in fierce roars. The door burned a hot red, weakened from the fire. The dragon claw’s on Fraxure’s hand glowed blue and he slashed at the door. It clashed against the floor and the Axe Jaw Pokemon flung it to the side. “ Frax!” He called to the trainers as the other Pokemon filed out. 

Tomas and Leon exchanged a look and the raven-haired trainer gave Fraxure a silent thanks

The raven-haired trainer made their way to the front of the crowd and then to the back of the ship. The two stopped at a sign that said ‘Loading Dock’ and led the Pokemon in there. Tomas looked around and grinned, spotting an ship that would be able to fit all the Pokemon. “ In there, in there.” He beaconed them forward and they boarded. “ Wait here. We have to go find our friend, but when we come back we’ll get you out of here.” He held up a hand to them, turned, and exited with Leon.