Chapter 5: Bearers of the Black and White Shield (Part 2)

" I took the liberty of calling the police once I found the helicopter." Lenora smiled

“ You’re under arrest!” Police officers jumped out from behind the helicopter and handcuffed most of the grunts.

“ Stop!”

“ Let me go!”

“ I’ve done nothing wrong. I swear!”

The leader ran the opposite direction and Riley ran through the woods after her. Lenora stayed with the police, trying to round up the other grunts. Riley turned and cut the orange-haired grunt off. “ Where is Ghetsis?! He planned all this didn’t he! The bombing, capturing Virizion. He’s you’re head officer, isn’t he? So where is he?!” 

The grunt spat at the ground. “ I’m not telling you anything!” Suddenly, the chop of helicopters in the air started. The grunt desperately ran to the field and began waving her arms. Above were five helicopters and each would hold about 15 people. They were hovering above and the lowest one contained a strange looking man with an eye piece and bicolor coat.

“ Ghetsis...” Riley breathed.

“ Go back! Turn back, the mission failed!!!” The grunt shouted urgently. The helicopters turned around and flew away, seeing the police and understanding the situation. A policeman ran up and grabbed the grunt, putting her in handcuffs too.

“ No!” Riley screamed and shook her fists. “ Get back here!” Lenora walked over to Riley and put a hand on her back.

“ Hey, listen. You did good. There’ll be another time. We’ll catch Team Plasma. They’re pretty slippery, but we’ll get them.” Riley calmed down slightly, but then realized something.

“ Virizion’s still back there!”

Lenora and five officers went back with Riley to the cave. Oshawott, Electrike, Riley, and all the other Pokemon and people helped remove the rocks. By the time the where almost done it was dark outside. Lenora and the officers went to sleep, promising to resume in the morning. Riley tried to make herself comfortable, but she wasn’t tired and her mind kept on drifting back to the state Virizion must be in. I bet she’s scared and confused. And really lonely... Once those thoughts took over her mind Riley couldn’t even think about sleeping. I can’t leave Virizion like that! Oshawott and Electrike were sent out yawning.

“ Oshawott, Electrike, I don’t know about you, but I can’t bear stand Virizion being left in there for one more minute. Will you help me?” Oshawott nodded vigorously, both excited and determined, and Electrike smiled in response. They worked for an hour until they removed the last rock. Riley looked in. There was a smaller cavern, but the back was in shadows so she couldn’t make out anything.

“ Hello?” She called quietly.

“ Osha?”

“ Virizion?” A Pokemon stepped out of the shadows, one with graceful legs and the appearance of a green deer.

I was not scared like you thought, Champion. Riley gasped. Virizion hadn’t opened her mouth or made a sound. She was inside Riley’s head. I knew you were coming and could’ve handled myself quite well if not for that silly rock fall. However, because I was stuck in here, I give you my thanks for getting me out. Your actions today were valiant.

“ I didn’t catch Team Plasma and Ghetsis got away. I wouldn’t call that a success.”

Virizion frowned. I said valiant not successful, but need I remind you that your interference in Team Plasma’s plans took away a potential weapon, me.

“ Well, I really didn’t do that much, Viri--”

I would not like to argue with you so I shall not because now I must go. I hope to see you again someday, Champion. I hope that will be the day when you bring down that evil organization. Until then, goodbye and thank you. Virizion turned and bounded away. Riley ran after, but sudden felt her feet get heavy and a wave of exhaustion hit her suddenly. 

“ Wait, Virizion...” Riley barely managed to get those words out before she fell asleep in the middle of the dimly lit tunnel.

“ Hey, wake up! You going to get up?” Lenora’s voice came from above and she was lightly kicking Riley’s back. “ Why’d you fall asleep here? Seems pretty uncomfortable.”

Riley opened her mouth to respond. Well, I was working on clearing the rock fall and when I finished I met a legendary Pokemon told me I was a champion and I think made me fall asleep. No, that would sound insane. Some things were better not to share. “ I, uh, don’t know... I guess I was so tired I just fell asleep where I was!” Riley laughed fakely, but Lenora didn’t seem to be able to tell she was lying.

“ Well, we should all probably go back to Nacrene. It looks like Virizion got herself out while we were asleep.” Lenora said pointing to the smaller, empty cave. The police rode back on their motorbikes, but the gym leader and Riley decided to walk. 

Once they came to the edge of Nacrene City and Pinwheel Forest Lenora turned to face Riley and said “ Thanks for helping out. It’s too bad we didn’t get Team Plasma, but I’m sure next time they won’t their leader won’t escape. You did a great job, Riley, especially battling. If you ever want to battle me for the Basic Badge at the museum I’d be happy to go against you. First, I’ve got to tell everyone I’m back. Man, I hope my husband isn’t worried!” With that, Lenora left and headed back towards the Nacrene Museum.

Riley decided to go to the cafe warehouse since by now she was extremely hungry and thirsty. There, she ordered a Pecha berry pastry and got a free soda pop since it was Wednesday. Riley put the soda pop in her bag to avoid a strange combination and ate the pastry. 

A waitress came over and began to talk to her. “ Are you on your Pokemon journey?” Riley nodded. “ Wow! Sounds fun, but I wouldn’t since I’ve never been on one myself. I heard usually you kids travel with at least one other person. Is that true? Do you travel with someone?” The waitress said brightly and Riley almost spit her food out. 

Tomas! Shoot, he’s going to be so worried by now. I’m an idiot! Why didn’t I think of calling him sooner?! Riley threw some money out of her bag to pay for the meal and ran out the door yelling, “ You just reminded me of something! Thank you!!!”

Riley ran into the street and to the city’s square which had a vibrant abstract statue in the middle. She searched around for Tomas and accidentally bumped into someone who yelled, “ Ow!” loudly. Riley spun around to apologize and was face to face with Tomas.

“ The gym leader came back and you’ve been missing for two day! Where have you been?!” Tomas burst out.

Riley suppressed a, “ Well nice to see you too,” and smiled. “ Chasing bad guys, working with a gym leader, helping the police, and talking to a legendary Pokemon... So, not much.”