Chapter 2: The New One

“ Are we there yet?” Riley turned to Tomas.

“ I already told you, we have to go through Accumula Town to get to Striaton City.” Tomas said.

“ Actually, I was asking if we were in Accumula Town yet, but I guess I didn’t need to.” Riley pointed  ahead of them. Tomas looked to where she was pointing and saw the dome of a Pokemon Center. 

“ Pokemon Centers are everywhere.” Tomas countered. Riley rolled her eyes and pointed to a small sign a couple feet before the Pokemon center on it were the words Accumula Town. Tomas’s face reddened and they walked in silence towards the town. As they came towards the town they heard shouts. Riley ran up to see what was going on .

“ Now, Litwick, Flame Burst!” Riley got there in time to see two trainers battling, one of them was clearly winning so far. A small Litwick stood in front of a dark auburn haired girl. It released a stream of fire from the flame atop its head. It formed a ball of fire that burst in the air and sent streaks of flame raining down on the other trainer’s Crustle. Crustle was knocked out. Tomas walked up behind Riley and said.

“ Impressive, she’s gotten better.” Riley turned around.

“ You’ve met here before?”

“ Of course. Her name's Karayne. When I first went to Straiton City she was training under one of the gym leaders here, Chili. Karayne specializes in fire types like him and is an amazing trainer.”

“ So what’s she doing here? Is she still training?”

Tomas turned to Riley. “ Go ask.”

Riley ran up Karayne and looked her up and down. She was wearing a dark red jacket, dark blue jeans, an orange a red shirt, and brown boots. Her hair was dark auburn, wavy, and in a ponytail that allowed it to fall down her back. “ I here you’re pretty good. I challenge you to a Pokemon battle!” Riley said confidently.

Karayne seemed surprised at first, but then her expression changed to one of amusement. She snickered. “ Good first impression.” She said sarcastically. Her voice was smooth and portrayed  a great deal of confidence. She looked past Riley to Tomas.

“ Cress has been waiting for you.”

Tomas half-smiled at the girl. 

“ I’m sure. But I’m ready now.” Tomas paused. “ He better be too.”

Karayne turned back to Riley, finally paying attention to her and her shouts. “ I accept your challenge she said lightly. “ But don’t expect to win.” She muttered. 

Riley heard this and grumbled. I’ll show her. She thought. I won’t let her win.

“ Litwick, you’re up!” The Pokemon that Karayne had used in her last battle stepped up from behind her. Riley took out her Pokedex and registered Litwick, however the picture that showed up on the Pokedex did not match Litwick. It eyes were green and its flame was blue while the picture flame was purple and its eyes were red. I wonder why Litwick looks like that? She thought for a second. Riley suddenly knew the answer and was surprised that hadn’t figured it out earlier.

“ Since you obviously want to impress me with your shiny Litwick, Oshawott, I choose you!” In a red flash, Oshawott appeared in front of Riley, already looking excited. “ Oshawott, you look like your well-rested. Are you ready to battle?” Oshawott nodded. “ Okay, you first, Karayne!”

Karayne smiled. “ Litwick, use Will ‘O’ Wisp.” She said calmly. Litwick breathed deeply and released several balls of flame. They spiraled through the air and headed straight toward Oshawott.