Chapter 13: Unknown Identity

Riley rubbed the gym badge with her thumb in an attempt to shine it. After getting back from Burgh’s gym the four had gone to the Pokecenter and eaten dinner. Then they had retired to their rooms. Sophie bunked with Riley while Leon shared a room with Tomas. It was morning and she was observing the green heart shaped badge and thinking back to the intense gym battle she had had the day before.

Sophie stuck her head down from the top bunk. “ Whatcha doing?”

Riley’s hand flew to her heart. “ Geez! Don’t do that!” She took a deep breath and looked up at Sophie. “ Just thinking. Mostly about the gym battle, but about other things too.”

“ Other things? Like what?” The breeder swung her feet over the railing of her bed and hopped down onto the bottom bunk. “ Ooooh! Like Tomas?” she added teasingly.

Riley pushed her to the side playfully. “ How many times do I have to tell you I don’t like him? We’re just traveling together.”

Surprisingly, Sophie smiled and said, “ Ok, you’re just friends,” but there was a hint of something else in her voice.

“ Anyways, what I was thinking about was--” Riley didn’t get to finish before Sophie interrupted.

“ Celebi!” Riley nodded, stunned that Sophie had practically been able to read her mind. “ And the flute and Team Plasma!” The trainer nodded again.

“ First of all, what did that vision Celebi showed me mean. Second of all, what should I do with the flute.” She took a deep breath. “ And third of all, where is Team Plasma and what are they planning?” 

Sophie gave Riley a sad look and shook her head. “ I guess we’ll find that out.” Sophie got up out of the bed, grabbed her clothes from her bag, and headed out the door. 

Riley still sat on the bed staring at the Insect Badge. She fished through her knapsack, found her badge case, and snapped the badge in. 3 badges. A smile curled on her lips and Riley dropped it back in the bag. It clinked on something and Riley grew curious. The trainer reached into her bag once more and pulled out two things she hadn’t thought about in forever. The master ball and the glass container that kept the mysterious egg warm. 

Riley picked up the glass container and spun it around slowly. I wonder what kind of Pokemon you’re gonna be. What region did you come from? The tan and brown spotted egg shook a little and the trainer gasped, dropping it into her lap. She looked at it again, but now the egg was motionless. Riley took it off her lap and pushed across to the far side of the bed. She then picked up the Pokeball. And who left you? I mean, how could anyone forget a Master Ball? The door opened and Sophie came in in her purple, grey, white, and teal clothes. Riley quickly grabbed the Master Ball and shoved it in her bag, but wasn’t fast enough to grab the egg before Sophie saw it.

“ What’s that?” She asked and pointed at the glass container.

“ Nothing.” The trainer shot back quickly and pulled it toward her bag.

“ Wow! That’s a Pokemon egg! Do you know what Pokemon is going to be hatch from it?” Sophie’s eyes sparkled. She was mystified. She took the glass container, opened it, and hugged the egg gently. “ It’s gonna hatch soon.” She said after brushing her hands over it.

Riley started. “ How do you know that?”

Sophie giggled. “ Ha ha! I’m a breeder, silly. I don’t just make medicines.”

“ When do you think it’s going to hatch?” Riley asked, suddenly intrigued.

“ It’s hard to say at this point. Could be anything from a couple days to a month. It depends on how much you care for it.” She stated simply and in a serious tone that Riley had never heard her use before.