Chapter 26: Darkness Falls

Author's Note

So, as you guys probably noticed, I was unable to enter the Pokemon Watty's because my story wasn't exactly done. XP I am still going to enter it in next year's Watty's of course so that is why I'm asking you all if you could please continue to support me by voting and giving me feedback. This chapter especially is one I'd like clear, thorough reviews so if you could help that'd be fantastic! I hope you enjoy. ^_^

******************************************

Riley, Tomas, and Sophie walked on Route 8 in silence. Fishermen drew in their lines as the group sloshed through shallow puddles and two trainers’ Ludicolo and Palpitoad prepared for the next move of the battle.

“ What do you think Opelucid City’s like?” Sophie asked curiously, more hesitant than usual. Neither Riley nor Tomas answered and they just continued looking around. The purple-haired trainer looked at them, worried. “ What do you guys think?”

Riley bit her lip, not silently fuming like she had when she and the raven haired trainer had first fought, but letting her anger settle and thinking about Sage Rood and Team Plasma. It had been a while since the team had attacked Skyla’s plane and the trainer hadn’t heard anything about them and still didn’t know what their plans were. It seemed like the criminals had just disappeared. The brown haired trainer’s gaze flicked up to Tomas, but returned to the ground so he wouldn’t see that she’d acknowledged him. 

Why am I letting Sage Rood’s “warning” get under my skin?! The trainer thought angrily. She looked up at Tomas again and he turned his face away from her. I mean, I have perfect reason to think he’s hiding something important, but is Rood the one getting me worked up about this? I don’t even know if I can trust him?

She doesn’t trust me. Tomas thought glumly as he saw her suspicious look and turned away. The raven-haired trainer shook that off and turned to more important things. His father and what he’d told him for one.

A giant steel arch bridge crossed over a wide strip of water not far away from the trio. They looked at a sign in front of the gate that led to the bridge’s entrance, Tubeline Bridge: a sturdy steel bridge that won’t budge an inch when trains cross it; Route 9 is located on the other side, it read.

Riley, Sophie, and Tomas walked across the bridge briskly and went onto Route 9, surrounded by bikers roaring past on their motorcycles that proudly battled with Bouffalants and Krokoroks. They ignored the enormous “Shopping Mall Nine” and walked through another gate into Opelucid City.

People sat on the cobblestone streets playing guitar and blowing into flutes to make sweet music while their Pokemon danced in front of them. The buildings were made of stone as well and rose into the sky not like Castelia City’s skyscrapers, but like structures made by people thousands of years ago. The whole town had a relaxed and rustic, but ancient feel. 

The Pokemon Center was easy to spot, an orange in all the worn browns. The group headed towards it, passing a man playing the harmonica with his Elgyem.

Tomas, Sophie, and Riley checked out their rooms in the Pokemon Center and then left the building to explore the city. Straight ahead they saw a gigantic, pyramidal, stone building with two dragons on its sides that were cut from giant slabs of rock. Riley raised her eyebrows, silently impressed by the fantastic building. That must be the gym.

“ Champion!” A raspy voice called and the trainer whipped her head around in surprise and alarm. Sophie looked to her friend questioningly and then to Tomas who was equally confused.

The brown haired trainer watched Sage Rood run to them and tensed. What is he doing here?! What does he want?  The questions rolled through her mind.