Chapter 15: Electrifying

THIS CHAPTER IS NOW EDITED AND FINISHED

Sophie slowly opened the door to her and Riley’s room in the Pokecenter and crept through it on tip toes. She turned around and pushed it closed with the tips of her fingers. The door clicked shut and she slid her purse off her arm and onto a chair. She glanced at Riley, asleep on the bottom bunk, and then at her Xtranceiver for the time, nearly 11 ‘o’ clock. The trainer stirred and Sophie turned off the Xtransceiver, slid it into her bag, and began stepping blindly over to the bed so she could get on the top bunk. She climbed up and threw the blanket over her, sighing.

“ Why are you back so late?”

Sophie squeaked in fright and quickly brought her head over the railing over her bed. “ Riley?” 

The brown haired trainer repeated her question and Sophie gulped before responding. “ Um... It’s late. We should go to sleep.” The breeder skillfully dodged answering the question.

“ Sophie, why?” Riley persisted.

“ Um... I’ll explain tomorrow.”

“ Sophie?” Worry had crept into Riley’s voice.

“ Riley, everything’s fine it’s just... complicated. Ok?” Sophie heard Riley shake her head and changed the subject. “ Are you going to challenge Elesa tomorrow?”

The trainer thought for a moment before answering. “ Yeah, I think we’re ready.”

-----------------------------

“ So are you going to tell me why you came back so late last night or what?” Riley said, pulling on her dark green gloves. It was morning now. “ I kinda think I deserve an answer.” 

Sophie finished putting her purple hair up in lively pigtails and turned around to her friend. “ I was at the Pokemon Musical.” Riley nodded for her friend to continue. “ And they offered me an internship.”

The trainer raised her eyebrows, trying to let it sink in. “ What?”

“ I met with the director after the show to thank him for the wonderful performance and I told him that I loved the show and had never seen anything like it. I said that I’d always dreamed of working at their theatre and, well... He showed me backstage. Said he liked my enthusiasm and passion.” Sophie blushed and pushed a hair away from her face. “ I didn’t know how to respond and he just kept talking. He was telling me that I had this “spark” that he looked for in all the people that wanted to work there. I don’t know quite how it happened, but we got talking and I showed him how I had been training my Pokemon for the musical and he loved it. After a little while, I was introduced to everyone there and he just turned to me, all of a sudden, and said ‘How would you like to be an intern here?’” 

Riley was silent for a little while and Sophie stood awkwardly to the side waiting for a response. After a little bit, Riley said, “ That’s great, Sophie!”

The breeder half-smiled and added, “ But I haven’t said yes yet. I said I didn’t know and that I’d have to think about it. Riley, I thought, well, I don’t want to just leave you and Tomas and I--- I don’t know...” Her voice trailed off and she looked nervously down at the ground.

“ Sophie, it’s been your dream to work at that theatre forever. I don’t think you should just give that up for us.” Her answer came out hesitantly, though.

Riley’s friend put her head in her hands and mumbled, “ It doesn’t matter right now. The director said he’d check back at the end of today and I don’t want to be rushed to make my decision.”