Chapter 4: Emptiness and the Gym

Riley had tucked the master ball in the bottom of her bag. It was too valuable to lose, or have stolen. She adjusted the pokeball holder/belt and walked out of the room. Tomas was waiting in the hall. He opened his mouth and Riley swore he was about to make a rude comment about how late she had gotten up. All he said was, “ Big day.”

The sun shone brightly and petals from young trees had detached themselves and were riding the playful breeze. Tomas had stepped out of the Pokecenter and Riley was conversing with a trainer. Riley walked back to Tomas.

“ Apparently Cilan went on a journey with some kids named Ash and Iris. I’m probably going to be going against Cress. Then again, you’re going against him too right?” Tomas nodded and Riley continued. “ The gym is closing down soon and the gym leaders are passing on the baton or retiring completely. They say the gym is going to become a restaurant. We’re probably going to be one of the last people to get a Trio badge.” Tomas said nothing so they walked to the gym, some renovations had already started.

“ Here’s a fresh water to keep you hydrated!” Clyde, the man standing by the entrance gave the both their drink. “ You probably know this but Cress uses a Panpour and a Lillipup. Chili uses a Pansear and a Lillipup. Type advantages are pretty valuable here so use your moves wisely.” They thanked him for the advice and water and walked through the doors.

Riley gasped. “ I remember reading about this place, but I never thought it would look like this!” The gym was a restaurant. A big crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling and trainers/waiters stood in black and white clothes at the corners of the room. A carpeted Pokemon stadium was in the center and near the back Chili and a girl were talking. Cress stood off to the side. As Riley and Tomas walked closer they saw the three in better detail and immediately recognized the girl standing near Chili.

“ Karayne! What are you doing here!” Riley shouted. The girl whipped around,blazing ponytail following closely behind. Her eyes narrowed and she immediately tensed.

“ I’d like to continue my conversation with Chili if you don’t mind, amateur.” Riley was taken aback, but she fired back quickly.

“ Why don’t you answer my question first!” 

“ I’m hear because I’m supposed to be. What’s your excuse?” Karayne’s voice had lowered, but remained at a high intensity. All the boys stand near took a step back except Chili. He was calling Karayne’s name repeatedly.

“ I’m here to challenge Cress!”

“ You couldn’t beat him if he was asleep!”

“ KARAYNE!” Both girls were silenced. Chili had just yelled at the top of his lungs and everyone in the room had just turned to look at them. He lowered his voice and turned to his apprentice. “ We’ll continue this conversation later.” She slowly inhaled and  turned to go. Riley’s eyes followed her out the door. Somehow she had already gotten a rival. Chili turned to Tomas and Riley and Cress walked over.

In a calm voice Cress said, “ We’d prefer it if you didn’t start fights in our gym. I understand you two are fierce rivals already, but please, this is a place of friendly competition.” There was no harm in Cress’s words, they were sweet and simple. Riley nodded. She didn’t really understand why she had burst out like that.

“ In your defense, Karayne is a bit of a hot head.” Chili spoke up. Tomas chuckled, understanding his joke. “ Now, you said you were here to battle Cress.”

Tomas and Riley nodded. “ Well, I’m sorry---”

“ What?!” Tomas interjected. “ It can’t be too late! I promised I’d come back and I did.” He turned to Cress. “ You said you would wait!”