Chapter 12: Once More

“ What?! What do you mean!” Riley burst out. “ You can’t just stop gym battling! I thought your dream was beat the Elite Four and become Champion!”

“ Riley.” Tomas was desperately trying to get a word in.

“ 6 times, you tried to beat the Striaton gym 6 times and back then you still wanted to gym battle! So what happened? In fact, I remember you leaving me on the way to Castelia City because you needed to have your precious gym battle! You can’t just stop, Tomas!”

“ Riley.” Tomas tried to cut in again.

“ And another thing--”

“ RILEY!” The brown-haired trainer had fallen silent and turned to look at Tomas, shocked. He had never yelled that loudly before and now everyone in the Medal Offices had turned to look and see what was going on. Tomas ignored them and continued in a much quieter voice. “ Do you want to know why I stopped?” He didn’t need Riley’s answer to continue. “ It’s because of everything that’s happened over the past couple of days. I’ve seen how great you are at battling, I’ve stormed a Team Plasma ship, and I’ve witnessed what defeat can do to a person and their Pokemon and I’m doing this because I don’t want to hold you back. Gym battling’s just not for me, but, Riley, it is for you. I’m just not cut out for it like you are and that’s fine with me. I’ll still be training hard, but my journey doesn’t have to be all about winning.” 

Tomas’s words cut Riley and she began to think it was her fault. Is he calling himself a failure? Is he saying that I’m too good for him? “ Tomas, I don’t know what I said or did to make you say this, but, please, don’t give up.”

The raven haired trainer laughed a little. “ Riley, I’m not giving up.”

“ Then what do call this!?” She shot back.

“ My choice.” Tomas took a deep breath and looked her in the eye. “ I gave you my reasons and I know you’d never do the same, but I honestly do think this is for the best.”

Riley didn’t know what to say back so she remained silent. Leon and Sophie looked from one trainer to another, waiting for someone to make a remark. Finally, Sophie spoke up. “ Did you want to go heal your Pokemon and head back over to the Castelia gym?” Riley nodded and the group left the Medal Offices in an uncomfortable silence.

-------------------------------

Riley and the group entered the gym for the second time that day at twilight. Riley had managed to get a few good battles in against Leon, but not Tomas. She still hadn’t spoken a word to him, but couldn’t think of anything to say. Her Pokemon were well rested and Burgh sat in a stool, painting his Swadloon at the end of the stadium. He looked up and smiled. “ You’re back.”

Riley’s expression quickly changed to one of confidence and utter delight. “ Figured I’d come back. Wanna rematch?” 

Burgh’s grin widened and he called the referee over. “ I’d never decline a challenge.”

The ref began explaining the ruled specific to the gym. Riley remembered what Yune had said and listened. “--substituting Pokemon is not allowed during the battle. Using medicine is also not allowed. You may, however, use any and all parts of the stadium.” I can’t use the potion Sophie gave me! Riley thought annoyed. “ Please send out your Pokemon.” Burgh sent out his Dwebble and Riley sent out her Mienfoo. Even if I only have a small advantage I’ll take as much help as I can get. This is going to be one heated gym battle. Remember, just listen, think, plan, and don’t be reckless. “ May the battle commence!” The ref shouted from the sidelines. It was Riley’s move first.