Chapter 6: The Martial Arts Pokemon

“ Riley, you’ve been gone for two days!” Two days since I last I saw you and you’ve been chasing after a group of bombers! You could’ve been dead and you left me here to call the police because you marched yourself into an open fire situation! Tomas thought. “ Jolie was worried sick and now she refuses to see me because she thinks I lied to her.”

“ I didn’t think you cared if I was dead or alive.” She retorted. 

“ Well...” You’re my friend! Tomas almost wanted to burst out, but he held his tongue and took a deep breath. “ Riley, I don’t hate you.” He said simply.

“ I think that’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me.” Riley answered jokingly. Tomas rolled his eyes but didn’t take the sarcastic comment to heart.

“ Couldn’t you have at least called me on your Xtransceiver? Everyone here had no idea where you were or what you were doing.”

“ I’ll take note.”

-------------------

“ So, do you think Team Plasma meant to use Virizion to find something or to do something for them or what?” Tomas asked after they had healed their Pokemon, battled, and exchanged stories about the past few days.

“ No idea. I still don’t really understand them. I mean, why would anyone choose to do those kinds of things?”

Sensing the topic was closed, Tomas moved on. “ And Virizion, you said she spoke to you.”

Riley nodded. “ Though, her mouth didn’t move. It was like I heard her voice in my head. Is that possible? Can Pokemon do that?”

“ I’ve never heard of it happening.” Riley and Tomas began to wander past the Cafe Warehouse and out of Nacrene City. They turned south before entering Pinwheel Forest and came to a part of the town they hadn’t seen before. Backpackers, hikers, aces, and other trainers gathered her in great number. A lot of them were occupied battling other Pokemon, but a large crowd had gathered around a boulder to the east. Riley looked in that direction and stopped.

“ What’s going on up there?” They walked slowly at first, wanting to see what was ahead, but not in a hurry. As they came closer, sounds being made by people in the crowd became clearer. They were jeering and laughing at someone.

“ Akira, you show her how!”

An ace trainer stepped up to the boulder. “ Alright, Timburr, wanna show this little pushover what a real Pokemon can do?” The ace trainer, Akira’s, Pokemon nodded its head, swung the squared log in its hands over its head, and thrust it down toward the rock. A shard of the rock fell off and Akira picked up the star piece triumphantly. “ Think you can do that little one!?” Riley pushed her way forward through the crowd. She was at the front now and Tomas had followed closely behind. A Mienfoo stood by the challenge rock and was desperately pounded on it to try to get a star piece like the trainer had. The small Pokemon looked extremely angry and was enduring an onslaught of humiliation.

Tomas stepped forward, in front of the rest of the crowd and to the trainer. “ Is this really necessary?”

Akira swiftly turned in her black boots. “ Is that really your decision?” She said sternly.

“ Putting your Pokemon through that kind of embarrassment isn’t right. Mienfoo’s learning nothing from it and will definitely like you less now.”

Akira laughed loudly as if this was the funniest thing in the world. “ You-ha-you think that I’m this weakling’s trainer!” She stopped laughing and became more serious.  “ No, I wouldn’t even try to train this Mienfoo.” Akira started laughing. “ Ha! I don’t think anyone would!”