Chapter-9

I feel more nervous then ever as Grant walks me back to the pack house. Its starting to get dark and I am grateful for the guidance as I would probably get lost if I was to walk back alone.

We haven't really said much to each other, even though there is so much to say, well, on my account at least. But when we were far enough way from the clearing, I was going to tell him everything... but then it struck me. If Caleb hadn't taken the money from my brother in the first place then I wouldn't be here, in this situation. But is that a good enough reason not to tell him?

It kept me thinking, and kept me quiet on the trail back to the pack house.

"I'm sorry about Caleb, he can be an unpredictable ass when he's drunk." Grant breaks the silence, and I look up to him.

" Don't worry about it, he seemed... alright." It was the only word that came to mind and Grant just laughs at me.

"Well I suppose that is a good word... that's how the ladies describe him anyways." Grant teases and a spit out a laugh, looking at him again, surprised. "What?"

"I'm sorry but you didn't seem like the type of guy to make jokes like that." I mention, and he smirks at me.

"What kind of person do I strike you as Brooke?" He rubs his palms together." Strong, Dark, Mysterious..."

" Um... authoritative " the word just comes out and Grant slows down, some of the playfulness leaves him when I say it. And I start nervously rambling like I do in these awkward situations. " I meant it in a good way- I find that I can trust you and I just find you brave- I mean your not hiding like most Shadows do, you actually making-"

Grant stops me, grabbing my forearm to spin me towards him. He is back to serious mode again." How do you know that?" He questions.

"What do you mean?" I ask, slightly frightened by his tone.

" How do you know I'm a Shadow?" He says in a horse whisper, as if someone could be listening.

I stumble on my next words." S.E.R.O told me when they found out I was pregnant." I answer, telling the truth, for once.

Grant steps back, saying a few nasty curse words under his breathe. I guess this would be alarming news if a place like S.E.R.O knows you to be one of the few strongest supernatural beings left.

I feel worse from his reaction and I know its now or never to tell the whole truth.

I take a deep breath." Grant... there was something I needed to tell you-"

"Grant!" his name is called from a distance away and I hear running footsteps. A guy about the same age as me, in his mid twenties comes down the trail and he stops when seeing us, the smile on his face falters." Oh sorry, I didn't-"

"What is it Rick?" Grant grits out, and it is obvious he has a short temper, which I have seen since I have been here.

"Well its nearly time for your speech, and Abby says you better come quick because the guest of honor is going to pass out soon."

Grant groans in the slightest and looks to me.

"Um... I'll be fine, see you soon." I say and starting heading back to the house, I'm not that far away anyways. I tilt my head back to see Grant watching me before he turns around with out a word and follows Rick back to the clearing.

-..---.-.--.-.-.-.---..-.-.-.--.-

I barley sleep that night in my frustration of not telling Grant. The longer this goes on the guiltier I am going to feel.