Chapter-25

"- It wasn't funny." I remind Grant as he leads me through an unfamiliar forest trail in the early hours of the night. I was released from the medical clinic a few hours ago. Grant insisted I rest up before he took me to the mystery destination.

"Of course it was, I never thought you would mange to fall into a lake." He chuckles looking over to me with an annoyed pout on my lips. He laughs more.

"Whatever, we have all had our clumsy moments." I finish the topic and start a new one." So where exactly are we going?"

Grant smiles as if he was keeping a secret." You'll see."

I roll my eyes." How long do we have to go until we make it to this secret location."

Finally we stop right in front of a weaving curtain of leaves, I think we might have gone off the trail. But Grant turns to me with a smile, he takes my hand and starts walking to the bushes.

To confused to say anything I am guided through the leaves as they brush against my skin. I didn't realize the bush was so dense and I am thankful in the dark I am still holding Grants hand.

When the leaves disappear from our sides I stop in my tracks. Floating yellow lights dancing in the small opening in the forest. I watch them for a while my lightly anxious mood fading in the peacefulness of the scene in front of me.

"Fireflies." I whisper turning my head to Grant, who was already watching me. He nods in response, excitement dwelling in his eyes." How did you find this place?"

" It was a lucky find when I was patrolling, stumbled upon it." Still holding my hand he guides me further into the clearing until we stand in the middle. I turn slowly to be surrounded by the little lightning bugs to glow like stars that don't belong in the sky.

"Are they like this every night?" I question.

When looking at Grant he rubs the back of his head." No, it was a gamble to see if they where here I... checked an hour before I came and got you."

" So where would you have taken me if the fireflies didn't come out."

He chuckles nervously before answering." Good question..."

I laugh at his words, turning to admire the view again that surrounds us.

Sooner then later I was lying down on the grass, Grant doing the same as we stare up at our own personal constellation of lights, meters above our heads.

"Grant?" I whisper, afraid my loud voice will scare the fireflies away.

" Yes." A quiet reply.

"Where are you from?'

There is a pause before he answers." England."

Furrowing my eyebrows I turn my head to look at him." You don't sound English."

"How about now." He tries- tries being the key word- to do a British accent, which I find myself laughing at.

"That was crap." I comment and he laughs with me.

When we calm down he continues." I was young when my parents decided to move to America, so young I barley remember anything from my pack back in England."

" Was your pack like you, all Shadows?" I question, finding my curiosity guiding my questions.

"Yes, The Underwood Pack."

I stop for a moment, the name registering in my mind before I let out a little gasp." Your from the Underwood pack?"

Grant seems surprised by my reaction of the name as his head turns to me, his face confused." Yes, you've heard of it?"