Chapter-34

It was late afternoon when Grant whisked me away from the pack house to the lake at which we had Lily's birthday party. It was also the place we had our first kiss after I had embarrassingly fallen into the lake.

He had bought a small bag with some fresh made sandwiches as a spontaneous picnic. However all the smiles and laughs I pulled weren't real, as the conversation with Caleb last night kept replying in my head. He knew all along what I had done but kept it quiet. Part of me is grateful, the other part kind of wished he had told him. Not so he looked like the bad guy, no, just so the band aid could have been ripped off quicker and I would not have dug my self so deep its going to be ten times harder to get out of this one.

The conversation was light and airy, the way I liked talking with Grant as it seemed life was a bit easier with him. The serious stuff becoming simpler to deal with.

"- So Annie said she wanted to talk to you." Grant informs me, and I quirk and eyebrow.

"Did she say what about?" I ask.

"Something about a birth plan." He says , taking a sip from his drink bottle. My face falls. Birth plan, something Annie has been nagging me about for a while now. In my stupid attempts to not think about the inevitable I kept putting it off.

"Oh..." I whisper, my mood declining having to think about childbirth.

"Hey." I feel Grant hand cupping my cheek, I look up to him a raw emotion of compassion and caring in his eyes." I'll be there, I've read about some of the support strategies a partner can do during labor in that book of yours."

A sad laugh comes out of me, and I hadn't realized I had started to cry as a tear goes tumbling by my cheek. Grant's thumb brushes it away. He is clearly puzzled now as to my change of mood.

"Why are you crying?" He questions. I raise my hand to rest of top of his, savoring his warmth on my cheek.

"Because I'm a terrible person." I murmur loud enough for Grant to hear.

He sighs in response" Brooke-"

"No." I cut in bluntly." Just let me get this out...."

I take a look at Grant his eyebrows furrowed to the point where they are nearly touching. His lips form a line of concern.

"I've lied to you." I state.

"About?...." Grant drags out.

I take a shaky breath before I say the one thing I have dreaded since I saw him again on the front porch after my majestic rescue." They night we first met."

Grant stays quiet as the story tumbles out of me, like a never ending rock slide." A year and a half ago I was out on assignment when I got a call from my step mum. My Dad had collapsed and when I got there he was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. It wasn't like how it affects humans, some form that attacks the elements in a werewolves blood. He tried chemotherapy but it wasn't doing anything as it was intended for a human body not a werewolf's...."

I have to pause, remembering my father gives me heartbreak as I had loved him so much." My younger brother, Jordon... he was looking for anything that could help our father. One day he came to me and said he had found a research organization that has the necessary equipment to help find a cure. I told him it didn't seem right but he went to New York anyways. And I didn't hear from Jordon, and after I had faked my death and left my job I went looking for him , going straight to New York."

"The organization he was now working for, for exchange for a cure was S.E.R.O... but it was to late, my father past away before any progress was made... but those worthless people made sure that my brother still had to pay for all the time and equipment used and so he stole money... from your pack. Although Caleb stole it back... and they took my brother away, and kept him locked up because he failed his dead line."

I bite my lip, tears leaking out of my eyes, as I fear for telling they next bit of my story.

" So one night I broke in, armed and ready to bust my brother out of there. But I was caught. I would do anything for my family Grant." I state is if to help him understand what I am about to tell him." I told them I would do anything and that anything was to distract you that night at Volts so they could capture Caleb to find out where the money was, in exchange my brother would be freed... but they lied."

I am silently crying now as I lift my eyes slowly to Grant. He isn't looking at me, but out towards the lake in front of us. His eyes are glued to the water and I can see the tension clenched between his jaw. The betrayal is written all over his face.

I go into a helpless scramble after that." I had no intention of it going that far that night, I didn't mean to use you-"

"Stop." It's a cold word that leaves his lips and freezes my heart. My hands our shaky as his head cranes to look at me and he laughs. A sad cursed laugh that has my cheeks flushing." It was always going to be to good to be true..."

I stay silent as he chuckles bitterly again before the hurt returns to his face, his sad smile vanishing." I broke my own rule for you Brooke, you know..." He says as a simple fact." Having to see it to believe it... I knew nothing about you I made myself see what I wanted, didn't I?"

"I'm still the same person-" I try defend vulnerably but I am cut off by an angry Grant.

"Are you?" He challenges, his yes blazing as he looks into mine." Because what you just told me changes everything. The Brooke I knew doesn't lie to me. How am I supposed to know now what you told me is the truth or lie? How do I even know that night at Volts if it was your intention or not to get pregnant?"

"It wasn't!" I exclaim strongly back, beside the scratchiness of my voice from crying. And I try and make him see sense, even though I know I am doing it in the wrong way." Well I heard you in you office yesterday, you weren't doing paper work but using Geoff to help you take down S.E.RO."

"Don't you dare try and switch this around Brooke!" The volume he raises his voice has me clamping my mouth shut and shivering." I hid that information from you to not stress you out and the baby. You hid this form me for your own selfish reasons."

" I was only trying to help my brother..." I whimper.

"Well guess what Brooke." Grant says in a mocking tone." Caleb is like my brother, and the fact you willingly helped S.E.RO knowing who they are to torture him, makes me sick... and I guess after all this you did for your brother, your still no close to saving him, are you?"

That hurt and I turn my eyes away in shame, hugging myself as I hear him getting up. My eyes dart to him and all I can muster in a sad plead is." Please..."

I can see his muscles rippling in anger, his eyes shifting from the pale green to a bright yellow. I can see him trying to contain him self. " I'm going for a run before I do something I know I am going to regret."

With that he walks away to the border to the forest across the opening, not turning back as I see him shift, running and leaving me alone on the bank by the lake.

And I cry.

Cry and cry.

Cry until I fall asleep on the grass from exhaustion.

-..--.-.-.-.--.-..-.-.--.-..-

Well... What do you guys think of Grants reaction?

Also if you have had friends or family that have been diagnosed with cancer my prayers go to you.

So please Vote and Update, and spread the word of the story.

Update will probably be sometime on the weekend.

Love U