Chapter-37

At the time Dom's story gave me hope for the others forgiveness but as a month and half went on, it started to slip away. I was half way through my 7th month of pregnancy and it seemed things have changed. I was alone most of the time.

I normally had Geoff to hang out with, but he's never around anymore. Chasing down leads for Grant on people who can help bring down S.E.R.O. So far not many people from my old organization are as loyal to us as they are now to there new one.

But as I had normally hung out with Raina, Annie's family or Abby I just receive blank looks from them now. Annie seems she wants to talk to me, but a look from Abby keeps her away.

And Grant... well I don't see him anymore, only glimpses of him in the corridors. I tried to talk to him at first but he had no intention of talking to me. And so my doctors appointments with Dr. Norton were just attended by myself. And when I received photos of my ultrasound I would write a note on the baby's perfect health on the back and slip it under his door. He might not care about me anymore, but I know he cares for the baby.

Even though the air gets cooler day-by-day Dr. Norton says it's still good to exercise and so I do a routine walk around the forest trails every morning in a thick coat. However this morning things played out a little differently.

I was walking down the porch step, my hand on the railing when I felt a pain run through the base of my back. I hiss out a breath and stop, hunching forward and rubbing the pained area.

It slowly dulls away as I take deep breath.

"Brooke." My head shoots up to see Abby looking like she had just gotten off patrol duty. For the first time in over a month she has a new expression when seeing me, concern." You okay?"

I wave it off." It's fine, I always had trouble with my back." That being true, as I had injured it a few times in my old line of work. It probably was just a nerve spasm or something.

"You sure..." Abby is a little sterner now and I just nod, and its followed my a long awkward pause.

Realizing nothing is going to be said I sigh and continue on my way past Abby to the forest trails.

"Brooke." I halt in my steps and turn to Abby.

She bits her lip, before rubbing her forehead." You might want to watch your steps on the Eastern Trail it's a little slippery with frost this morning."

I nod giving a small smile." Thanks I will."

"And the Sky Lake trail is a little muddy from the rain yesterday." She informs me and I nod before turning back around ready to begin my walk.

I hear a loud sigh behind me." Wait!" Abby exclaims and slightly alarmed I turn back to her. She looks around before back at me." I um... I'll just come with you to make sure nothing happens... just to be safe."

I suppress a grin at Abby's weird behavior and nod." Sure." And with that she easily catches up to me as we start walking.

.--.-.-.-.-..--..-

We walk in silence side by side. I honestly don't know what to say when for over a month Abby hasn't talked to me and now she is making sure that I don't get hurt on a simple walk that I have been doing for ages now.

I can't take the silence anymore, although nice and peaceful. The tension between us takes it away.

"I'm sorry." The words fall out of my mouth and Abby halts for a second in surprise before sighing.

"I'm sorry to." She says and I feel some of the weight from loneliness seep away.

"I know what I did was wrong but-"