Bonus Chapter: Mother's Day

Rolling over on my side of the bed, my eyes blink open to the other now empty side. It takes me a second to comprehend the fact Grant is out of bed before me. Normally I'm the one up, getting Ella ready for the day, and then trying to get Grant ready as well.

But today when I sit up in bed, leaning against the head board my eyes drift to my bedside table. Resting against the lamp is an envelope, colorful crayon swirls marking the front. 'Mommy' is written neatly in the midst of it.

A broad smile finds its way to my lips as I pick up the envelope. Peeling the tab open I find a card with a big heart on the front, in the middle the words. "Happy Mothers Day!". Opening the card theres some more squiggles of crayon drawings, the left side having two abstract figures drawn in purple holding hands. On the right the words:

Dear Mommy

Thank you for being a great mother

Love Ella.

I could tell it was Grant's handwriting, knowing Ella could no way master writing at nearly 18 months. But he kept it short and sweet, and those little words still bought tears to my eyes, happy tears of how lucky I was. Wiping them away I place my card on the nightstand and get out of bed.

Putting on my fluffy white dressing gown I wrap it around me, the air still a little chilly. Walking down the hallway is when I hear some noise in the kitchen. Instead of my usual path to Ella's bedroom, I go towards the stairs.

Our new house was very open, especially the floor planning on the ground level. On the stairs I stopped and watch Ella and Grant in the kitchen. There was obvious mess that had me first annoyed, but the smiles on both of their faces trumped it. Ella was sitting on one of the bar stools facing the marble counter, Grant stoop behind supporting her as they decorated cupcakes. It was a mix of chocolate and bright hot pink frosting smeared on top. Together father and daughter had bought premade icing tubes and were drawing shapes on top.

"Do you think your mommy's going to like these?" Grant asks, helping Ella squeeze the tube of icing so it would come out.

"Yes!" Ella bobs up and down with a beaming smile, I've noticed when she gets excited she can't help but bob up and down. I found it quite cute." She'll like that one best."

She points to one on the far end of the scattering of cupcakes, Grant smiles with a nod." I think so to, Ella." He kisses her head. She giggles in response.

I decide then to make my appearance, making sure my footsteps are a little louder this time so they know I am coming. I make it to the landing and I see Grant look up, his smile broadening. Ella squeals and struggles to get off the seat until Grant helps her down and she does a little wobbly jog to me. I don't have time to rethink picking her up as she throws herself in my arms. She's wearing a small pink apron given to her by Martha for her first birthday, yet it is smothered in splats of frosting and batter and butter. All of which have speared onto me. Perks of being a mother.

But I didn't care as I hugged my daughter, kissing her on the cheek until she squeals for me to stop. " Thank you for my card, Ella." I kiss her one more time.

Shyly she averts from my gaze, a soft smile on her lips." Your welcome Mommy..." I smile, even at this age she was humble.

Grant comes over then, he to still in his pajama's, grey trakies and a white shirt. But now they are soaked in all different colors as Grant failed to put an apron, unlike his 18 month old daughter. I chuckle as he wraps an arm around me, kissing me on the forehead. "Happy Mother's day." He whispers.