Chapter-29

The weather is starting to cool to lower temperatures, and the wind is becoming crisper by the days. Winter is dawning on us, but before it is to cold to go out, the pack is holding a bonfire event outside.

Rugged up in a jumper and a jacket I sit upon a lawn chair enjoying the ending of the day, going into night. It was nice being surrounded by people I can call friends. It helps me forgot about all the terrible things that have happened and are still happening in my life.

"I can't wait to see the baby, for real I mean." Raina says as she passes back the ultrasound photo I had bought to show her and a pestering Annie.

"Me too." I say patting my enlarged stomach before giving a soothing rub. My baby has decided to try and gain my attention by kicking me ever so often most recently. Of course I don't mind- well at least when I am trying to fall asleep- but in a way I feel a little better knowing my little munchkin is doing alright in there.

"So..." Abby drags out, taking a sip of her beer." Do you know the gender yet?"

I shake my head." No, but Grant does." They give me a confused look and I elaborate." He wanted to know, I didn't."

"Speak of the devil." Abby points to her right and I follow her finger to Grant's approaching figure. He smiles when seeing me, plopping down on the free seat beside mine.

"We heard you know the gender of the baby." Abby states boldly, and Grant looks to me and I shrug.

"That I do." He says as if it was a simple fact. He's gone back to tough emotionless Alpha, not the one that teases me on my evolving waddle walk from my growing belly. I did slap him-hard- on the shoulder for that one.

"Do you mind telling us." Raina asks and quicker then anything I slap my hands over my ears, scared Grant would answer.

Its only a few seconds later I feel warm hands prying my hands away, and I hear the soft chuckling of Grant. I turn to him.

"I wasn't going to say anything." He states." If I cant tell you, I wont tell anyone."

"What!" Abby complains, her face turning sour." I won't tell Brooke... pinky swear."

Raina laughs at Abby's attempt." You wont get anything out of him, his been that way since he was a child. Our parents use to get so mad at him, right Grant."

It becomes so obvious in that moment that Grant went to stern to beyond tense at the mention of his parents. His lips are so thin when he answers." Right." He gets out gruffly.

Raina continues." I remember one time Grant had gotten a tone load of candy one Halloween and he was determined not to share it so he hid it. He wouldn't tell anyone, not even mom or dad. They only way we found out in the end is when a nest of ants where crawling out under a loose floorboard in his bedroom. Mom was so mad she had to get-"

"Raina" Grant grits out, his tone meant for no question. I was quite enjoying the little anecdote about his childhood but clearing he wasn't.

Raina's happy reminiscing sprit is crushed by Grant, as anger over takes the evident sadness in her eyes." What, I can't even talk about them now?"

" Drop it, Raina." He warns, but Raina seems to have no intention to do so.

"No." she hisses." There were our parents, what is wrong with talking about them?"

"You wouldn't understand." He bites back, sharpness to his words. But then his words become a lost whisper." Your weren't there that day..."

Raina softens but the rage comes back quicker then it left." No, I wasn't because it was your bright idea to ship me off to England." She abruptly gets up from her chair, her voice cracking." I didn't even get to say good bye."